Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Which bike is right for me?

Started by nick0440 · · Last activity · 2 posts · 394 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
14 May 2014
Last activity
15 May 2014
Original author
nick0440
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
394
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. rei.comgt transeo 30 bike 2014

    OR

    http://www.rei.com/product/867529/gt-tachyon-30-bike-2014

    Personally, I like the look of the second bike. Overall it seems to be almost solely a road bike, whereas the first bike can be used for bike paths as well.
    I'd mostly be riding it on roads (asphalt) but I'd like the option for bike paths also.
    From what I've read, disk breaks are generally more reliable than rim brakes.
    Bike 2 also has no front suspension.

    Basically I need you guys to give me a reason to get the bike that I feel looks better over the bike that seems to have better specs.

    Are the specs between the bikes negligible or is Bike 1 significantly better suited for my needs?

    Also I'm 5'9 135lbs if that matters.

  2. If most of your riding will be on dirt roads and paths, get the Transeo. If most of your riding will be on pavement, get the Tachyon, and don't let the thinner tires and lack of a front shock keep you off the dirt roads and paths should the need or desire arise. There is no rule that says you need fat tires and a shock fork to ride easy dirt. I do it on road bikes all the time.

    At 5'9" you should be looking at medium sized (~17.5 inches) frames.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.