Which bike -- list enclosed.

Mannaz

Jun 14, 2003
Hello, all. Just signed up and need some advice.

I'm getting back into riding and will purchase my first true road bike.

So far, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Fuji Rubaix
Giant OCR 2
Cannondale R800
Felt (model has slipped my mind)

These bikes are all in my price range and each that I've looked at has at least Shimano 105.
At this point, I'd appreciate any opinions. I realize that it all probably comes down to my preference and which I liked riding....but don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks, Tim.

I'd recommend the Cannondale R800. I looked at the bike last Friday, unfortunately didn't have enough money, but was very impressed with it.
I thought the Gipiemme Grecal Parade wheels were very good looking, and 105 is always decent.

It also has a better frame then the OCR, and I don't know about the Fuji bike.

I don't think it's the Giant OCR2 you mean; they have a Tiagra group and a steel fork, so I'm pretty sure you mean the TCR 2 (which has a 105 group and carbon fork.) The TCR frame is also closer to a Cannondale CAAD5 quality/stiffness wise.

I would be expecting the TCR2 to be a little cheaper than the R800 (and if you really meant OCR2, they should be WAY cheaper)

I ride an '02 Cannondale R700 (basically the same as this years' R800 minus the wheels) and it's fantastic. I preferred it to the Giant OCR/TCR geometry -- depending on your body measurements etc. you might find the Giant more comfortable.

I can't comment on the Fuji or Felt bikes, as they are pretty much unheard of here.

I did make a mistake, and you're right about the OCR2 having the Tiagra...

I meant to say OCR1 which has the 105 group....Though, I am looking at the TCR2.

I found a pretty good deal on the Cannondale R800. I'm going to ride it as soon as I get a chance and compare it to the OCR1/TCR2.

Thank you for the help.

Tim

in this price range, without question, cannondale is the best frame.

double heat treated, stiff, light. if it fits, the r800 is the obvious choice.

No one should be able to answer you without knowing your height, weight, and the kind of riding you plan to do. There are all kinds of road out there...

(My first post)

I just picked up a Felt F80 (2004 model, not on their web site, same specs as the 2003 F75). It is a mix of 105 and Tiagra. I have only been out on it once, and it is performing very well so far.

The Fuji Rubaix is an excellent bike and can be had for less than the Cannondale R800. Depending on your size, one of these might be better than the other. The R800 is a stiffer frame and, if you are on the large size, will be a better feel.

The Rubaix is a beautiful bike, pretty good components, but not in the same league with the Cannondale.

Don't know anything about the Felt and wouldn't have a Giant for purely personal reasons.

What's your height, weight? WHat's your riding style? Are you racing? Other than fit, define what you are looking for in a ride. Other than that, if you are looking for a no-nonsense do-it-all frame, then my answer is none of the above because there are tons of other manufacturers in that price range with more "all-around" features that are better than your list.

I have a riding partner who bought a 105 equipped LeMond. It has a steel frame which may not be the latest in high tech, but it also has a velvet smooth ride, and good all around performance.

Try to ride your choices, and remember that extra stiff may not be the best thing to get - you won't stay on it if the stiff ride hammers you to a pulp.