Which bike - opinions ?

Tenex

Guest
My brother-in-law wants a new bike and after going through the brochures he's narrowed it down to FS
hybrids from Giant, Trek and Scott so I thought I'd ask here for views. It's for cycling with his
teenage boys on road, trail and forest paths (i.e.. light off road).

The Bikes

Scott

T5 http://tinyurl.com/gtn5 T6 http://tinyurl.com/gtn6

Giant

Hyde Park http://tinyurl.com/gtn4 Regents Park http://tinyurl.com/gtn2

Trek

7200 FX http://tinyurl.com/gtn7

Trek are fairly well known so I assume they're OK but what about Giant and Scott? Looking at the
websites the components are pretty much the same only the Giant RP stands out at having Deore rear
mech (can't remember the lineage is it ascending: Acera - Alivio - Deore?) and it's cheaper than the
7200. The Giant HP looks good to me at £60 less again. ;-)

Originally posted by Tenex
My brother-in-law wants a new bike and after going through the brochures he's narrowed it down to FS
hybrids from Giant, Trek and Scott so I thought I'd ask here for views. It's for cycling with his
teenage boys on road, trail and forest paths (i.e.. light off road).
QUOTE]

They are all decent bikes and there’s a lot of choice at this price point.
Personally I’d avoid suspension forks, at this price they’re very basic and can be troublesome. For the sort of riding you describe they aren’t needed.
I like Trek bikes, I’ve had a couple and both the bikes and the after sales service have been impressive. Also some Trek dealers have an offer on at the moment, giving away some decent accessories with all bikes.

Tenex wrote:

> Trek are fairly well known so I assume they're OK but what about Giant and Scott? Looking at the
> websites the components are pretty much the same only the Giant RP stands out at having Deore rear
> mech (can't remember the lineage is it ascending: Acera - Alivio - Deore?) and it's cheaper than
> the 7200. The Giant HP looks good to me at £60 less again. ;-)

Best try them in a bike shop see which one fits best. Every frame geometry is slightly different and
one may be more comfortable than others.

Peter