Which bike - opinions ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tenex, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    My brother-in-law wants a new bike and after going through the brochures he's narrowed it down to FS
    hybrids from Giant, Trek and Scott so I thought I'd ask here for views. It's for cycling with his
    teenage boys on road, trail and forest paths (i.e.. light off road).

    The Bikes

    Scott

    T5 http://tinyurl.com/gtn5 T6 http://tinyurl.com/gtn6

    Giant

    Hyde Park http://tinyurl.com/gtn4 Regents Park http://tinyurl.com/gtn2

    Trek

    7200 FX http://tinyurl.com/gtn7

    Trek are fairly well known so I assume they're OK but what about Giant and Scott? Looking at the
    websites the components are pretty much the same only the Giant RP stands out at having Deore rear
    mech (can't remember the lineage is it ascending: Acera - Alivio - Deore?) and it's cheaper than the
    7200. The Giant HP looks good to me at £60 less again. ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Bigman

    Bigman New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2003

  3. Peter Simons

    Peter Simons Guest

    Tenex wrote:

    > Trek are fairly well known so I assume they're OK but what about Giant and Scott? Looking at the
    > websites the components are pretty much the same only the Giant RP stands out at having Deore rear
    > mech (can't remember the lineage is it ascending: Acera - Alivio - Deore?) and it's cheaper than
    > the 7200. The Giant HP looks good to me at £60 less again. ;-)

    Best try them in a bike shop see which one fits best. Every frame geometry is slightly different and
    one may be more comfortable than others.

    Peter