Which bike out of Trek 4300 and Giant Rincon

themauler855

Jun 11, 2003
hi i'm after some advice on which bike to buy between the Trek 4300 and the Giant Rincon. The Trek would cost £300 and the Giant would be £250. I just want a good solid bike thats gonna last i won't be on jumps but will be offroad at some stage.

Would you say that it's worth spending the extra £50 on the Trek? Are its components that much better? or would i be better going for the Giant. I've read on some sites that the Giants forks are too soft for some people and the front derailleur isn't good either.
heres the links for the bikes :
giant
http://http://www.giant-bicycles.co...ke.co.uk/bikes/mountain/recreational/4300.php

any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

I`m not really familiar with models you are talking about, but my friend has a giant and i have trek 7000. Must say that he has more troubles with his bike than I do. Cheaper giant models have bad frames. Too soft like you said. Weird noises and such. With trek i have a feeling that is a lots rougher than giant. Almost too rough. Maby I`m wrong, but I`d choose trek. ;)

I am looking at buying a Trek. But it is my understanding that that applies only to the frame. It has shimano deore LX gearing, and V brake system, and the front suspension is something else again, as are the wheels and tires, bottom bracket and other incidentals.

I think you have to take in all the factors of each bike. ie:type of frame, weight, welded or ?? , and then start looking at what it has on it. Gearing is most important to me, then comfort.

I just purchased the 2004 Rincon last week. Its not being delivered for a few more weeks but I think its a good bike for £250.

The Trek 4300 is £50 more, and I think they should both be the same price to be honest.

The 2004 spec Rincon is MUCH improved over the 2003. The soft forks were the RST Capa's on the '03, the new forks are the Suntour XC-60's which are an improvement and found on more expensive bikes. The rear derailleur is the same (Alivio) but the front derailleur has been upgraded to an Acera. The 2004 also has meatier tires @ 26" x 2.1".

I can't wait to test it out. I was gona get the boulder but then I realised the kind of upgrades that were on the Rincon for just £35 more. Awesome.

The treks a nice bike at a nice price, but the rincon beats it on value for money. Considering that I was only gona get a bike for £215, I didn't fancy paying £300, so the 2004 Rincon fits my budget well. If it doesn't live up to its promise, I'm gona be kickin ****!

Hi mauler, I've just picked up a Rincon 2004 last week. Like you I
wont be doing jumps but will be hitting the trails. Cant say any thing about the Trek they are in a way different price bracket here so did'nt consider them an option. Can say that the Rincon has a great frame big step up from 2003. Too early to comment about front deraileur yet as cables are still getting their first workout will know in a week or so after first service. The Australian market gets the RST cappa T4 fork which seems ok but soft, bottomed it for the first time today, wasn't looking where I was going. To be fair I do wiegh 230lbs/104 kg so that fork is working hard. Overall I'm very happy with mine its comfy and handles trails well, all the gear works and gives no indicaton that its about to change. Also the bike looks good, nice finish and good welds, alround it feels and looks like a quality ride. Let us all know what you choose. Also check the Giant website for frame details of 204 Rincon I think its very similar to the Iguana/ Yukon frame. WWW.giantbicycles.com

Cheers, Jeff

Hi mauler, I've just picked up a Rincon 2004 last week. Like you I
wont be doing jumps but will be hitting the trails. Cant say any thing about the Trek they are in a way different price bracket here so did'nt consider them an option. Can say that the Rincon has a great frame big step up from 2003. Too early to comment about front deraileur yet as cables are still getting their first workout will know in a week or so after first service. The Australian market gets the RST cappa T4 fork which seems ok but soft, bottomed it for the first time today, wasn't looking where I was going. To be fair I do wiegh 230lbs/104 kg so that fork is working hard. Overall I'm very happy with mine its comfy and handles trails well, all the gear works and gives no indicaton that its about to change. Also the bike looks good, nice finish and good welds, alround it feels and looks like a quality ride. Let us all know what you choose. Also check the Giant website for frame details of 204 Rincon I think its very similar to the Iguana/ Yukon frame. WWW.giantbicycles.com

Cheers, Jeff

I'm getting the '04 rincon next week, I've read some great reviews about it and that helped to make my decision. Also I got it for $100 off the original price. As for the Trek I've heard good things about them but no personall experience srry. ;)

Originally posted by need't'ride
welded or ??

whadda ya mean "welded or ??" how else are you gonna put a frame togeather (excuding carbon fibre of course) glue it ?!?!

anyway.. i havent heard anything about the trek but my mate has a rincon its held up pretty well to the **** he's given it, frame seems pretty strong i think the only problem hes had up till now is he bent the deraleur hanger, but that was his own stupid fault lol :D :rolleyes:

but yeah.. i recon the rincon is a good bike for the cost of the things but as i said i got no idea about the trek

I bought the Trek two years ago and all I can say is the frame is great. The other components do the job, but they are close to the bottom. The forks, HA, well anyway you get what you pay for.