Which bike should I choose?!

FitWit

Jul 14, 2011
Hey all,

I currently have a Raleigh Grand Sport, and have enjoyed cycling so much I'd like to upgrade already. Basically I want to get the best bike I can for under $2000, but really liked the look of the Trek Madone line. The LBS I'm considering has Giant, Trek, and Cannondale so any comparable bikes you think I should consider are appreciated. I am considering buying a new Trek Madone since they are having their summer sale and I could do 0% interest for 12 months. I could easily pay it off so that's not a worry. I'm just looking for some info regarding if the 3.1 is a good purchase at $1699 or if it is worth it to do the extra $200 for the 4.5 at $1899. I'm really enjoying cycling and will be doing some racing as a hobby in the future. I already have all the riding gear I need, so don't need any money set aside for that.

I have also considered buying for bikesdirect.com and have friends who got their bikes from there. Would I be better off getting a Motobecane carbon fiber bike with Ultegra components from there for around $1500 or stick with the LBS and name brands they sell? I can even get Dura Ace components for $1800.

Thanks for any help!

I'm certainly no expert in this area but like most things you usually get more when you spend more all things being somewhat equal.
Before you put out a lot of money on a bike, make certain that the bike will accept aftermarket parts and doesn't require something brand specific.
If possible ride the bike prior to purchase and perhaps have the shop set it up for your size/fit if that's a service they offer.