jujubi said:I live and cycle in potholy London. I've had a Raleigh hybrid for a couple of months now and the wheels are already buckled beyond the point of repair.
I'm thinking of getting a new hybrid in the 300-400 pounds range (450-600 dollars), and I fear I might have to order it online as few shops stock female-specific bikes my size (I guess I need a 21 inch frame.)
Which are the key components when it comes to durability on bad, bad asphalt? E.G. which material should the wheel rims be made of? Do I need suspension? I weigh about 80-85kg.
You don't need a bike with a suspension, but if you insist on riding through-or-into potholes, then you probably do want/need a bike which has FATTER tyres -- 700-52 or 700-58 -- so, you may want a 29er ...
There are some, but proably very few, non-29er frames which can accommodate tyres which are that large. I have an old (90s vintage), GIANT NUTRA frame into which I was able to fit a wheel with a 700-52 tyre ... the 29er tyre would preclude using fenders (if that is a factor) on the particular frame, but the particular frame has more than enough clearance for that tyre size.
A 700-52 tyre may fit in your current frame, too!?!
Supposedly, a smaller 700-48/29er tyre is now available (or, soon will be). It may be large enough to provide sufficient cushion for your wheels in your current bike's frame ...
That is, you may simply want to buy a new set of wheels for your bike + 700-48 (or, larger) tyres.
Regardless, you probably do NOT need a female specific frame ... just choose a bike whose (virtual) top tube is the correct length for you.
If you are compelled to buying a new frame, then I guess I would recommend you look at something like a RALEIGH XXIX ... plus, the derailleur hanger ... as the benchmark for your future considerations. The RALEIGH XXIX is the base model and is a Single Speed. With the addition of the derailleur hanger, you can convert the bike to a geared bike (i.e., move your current components onto the XXIX frameset) ...
SOME 29er frames are available separately.
The drawback of a 29er tyre is that most will have a tread pattern which is better suited for non-paved surfaces.