Which bike would you buy?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kilgore Trout, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the same price.

    Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

    Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

    Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

    -K.T.

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:15:23 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Kilgore Trout) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    >same price.
    >
    >Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    >Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
    >
    >Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    >stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
    >
    >Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
    >
    >-K.T.

    Celeste and lugs in pristine condition and you had to ask?
    --
    zk

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Kilgore Trout <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello,

    > I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    > same price.

    > Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    > Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

    > Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    > stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

    Choose the one that fits you better. That's the most important thing. But don't get trapped into
    thinking that these are the only two bikes in the world

    Art Harris

  4. On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:15:23 -0500, Kilgore Trout wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    > same price.
    >
    > Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    > Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
    >
    > Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    > stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

    Well, the second one is not cat-puke green, but that is about its only advantage. Headsets can be
    re-packed, and replaced for $25. I see no real advantage in TIG versus lugs, except weight (how much
    difference?). If bike #1 is 8-speed, then you may have parts trouble (cassettes) soon, but other
    than that it seems the better deal to me.

    "Basically never ridden" is a good thing. Of course, sadly, most bikes sold satisfy this condition.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
    stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
    morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

  5. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Kilgore Trout wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    > same price.
    >
    > Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    > Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
    >
    > Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    > stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
    >
    > Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
    >
    > -K.T.

    Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
    cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
    crankset? Stick to writing. B

  6. "David L. Johnson >" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > real advantage in TIG versus lugs,

    As far as I know, lugged frames are unrideable these days, you will be spotted within seconds by
    someone like me. This kind of thing is not acceptable.

  7. "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "David L. Johnson >" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > real advantage in TIG versus lugs,
    >
    > As far as I know, lugged frames are unrideable these days, you will be spotted within seconds by
    > someone like me. This kind of thing is not acceptable.

    Fab, Fab, Fab--

    If you're spotting lugs, how can you possibly concentrate your efforts on your training? We're all
    counting on you to give us a victory in this year's Milan-San Remo--don't let us down with any of
    this lame lugspotting.

    Think of your adoring tifosi! Let the dead bury the freds.

    -Luigi

  8. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    snip

    > Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
    > cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
    > crankset? Stick to writing. B
    snip.

    mayonaise.

  9. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Appkiller wrote:

    > snip
    > >
    > > Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
    > > cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
    > > crankset? Stick to writing. B
    > snip.
    >
    > mayonaise.

    Um, "mayonaise" ??

  10. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Bernie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Appkiller wrote:
    >
    > > snip
    > > >
    > > > Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
    > > > cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
    > > > crankset? Stick to writing. B
    > > snip.
    > >
    > > mayonaise.
    >
    > Um, "mayonaise" ??

    I trump your post-modern Kilgore Trout with John Barth.

    App

  11. Zwieback

    Zwieback Guest

    On 6 Feb 2003 10:37:23 -0800, [email protected] (Appkiller) from http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

    >Bernie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Appkiller wrote:
    >>
    >> > snip

    >> > snip.
    >> >
    >> > mayonaise.
    >>
    >> Um, "mayonaise" ??
    >
    >I trump your post-modern Kilgore Trout with John Barth.

    I was into Horselover Fat before Horselover Fat was cool.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'll show you MY telex number if you show
    me YOURS ...