Which bike would you buy?

Kilgore Trout

Guest
Hello,

I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the same price.

Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

-K.T.

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:15:23 GMT,
<[email protected]>, [email protected] (Kilgore Trout) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
>same price.
>
>Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
>Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
>
>Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
>stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
>
>Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
>
>-K.T.

Celeste and lugs in pristine condition and you had to ask?
--
zk

Kilgore Trout <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,

> I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
> same price.

> Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
> Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

> Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
> stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

Choose the one that fits you better. That's the most important thing. But don't get trapped into
thinking that these are the only two bikes in the world

Art Harris

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:15:23 -0500, Kilgore Trout wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
> same price.
>
> Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
> Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
>
> Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
> stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

Well, the second one is not cat-puke green, but that is about its only advantage. Headsets can be
re-packed, and replaced for $25. I see no real advantage in TIG versus lugs, except weight (how much
difference?). If bike #1 is 8-speed, then you may have parts trouble (cassettes) soon, but other
than that it seems the better deal to me.

"Basically never ridden" is a good thing. Of course, sadly, most bikes sold satisfy this condition.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

Kilgore Trout wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
> same price.
>
> Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
> Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
>
> Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
> stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
>
> Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
>
> -K.T.

Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
crankset? Stick to writing. B

"David L. Johnson >" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message

> real advantage in TIG versus lugs,

As far as I know, lugged frames are unrideable these days, you will be spotted within seconds by
someone like me. This kind of thing is not acceptable.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "David L. Johnson >" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > real advantage in TIG versus lugs,
>
> As far as I know, lugged frames are unrideable these days, you will be spotted within seconds by
> someone like me. This kind of thing is not acceptable.

Fab, Fab, Fab--

If you're spotting lugs, how can you possibly concentrate your efforts on your training? We're all
counting on you to give us a victory in this year's Milan-San Remo--don't let us down with any of
this lame lugspotting.

Think of your adoring tifosi! Let the dead bury the freds.

-Luigi

snip

> Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
> cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
> crankset? Stick to writing. B
snip.

mayonaise.

Appkiller wrote:

> snip
> >
> > Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
> > cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
> > crankset? Stick to writing. B
> snip.
>
> mayonaise.

Um, "mayonaise" ??

Bernie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Appkiller wrote:
>
> > snip
> > >
> > > Kilgore are you still alive? You were always underfed and totally out of shape, complete with
> > > cigarette butts in your beard, and now you want to ride a bicycle? and it's not even a triple
> > > crankset? Stick to writing. B
> > snip.
> >
> > mayonaise.
>
> Um, "mayonaise" ??

I trump your post-modern Kilgore Trout with John Barth.

App

On 6 Feb 2003 10:37:23 -0800, [email protected] (Appkiller) from http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

>Bernie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Appkiller wrote:
>>
>> > snip

>> > snip.
>> >
>> > mayonaise.
>>
>> Um, "mayonaise" ??
>
>I trump your post-modern Kilgore Trout with John Barth.

I was into Horselover Fat before Horselover Fat was cool.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'll show you MY telex number if you show
me YOURS ...