Which bike?

halftone82

Sep 5, 2013
I am a runner and have been told that I need to lay up a bit on it so I have decided to start cycling & I have not had a bike for 18 odd years so have no idea what to get.

I just want an en entry level road bike to see how I get on for a year or so before I take the plunge and get something more decent.

The bikes I like are:

Trek 1.2 C H2 2013
Fuji Sport 1.3 Triple 2013
Specialized Allez Compact 2013
Fuji Sportif 2.3 Compact 2014

If anyone could give me some advice on these bikes for a beginner or indeed of any other bikes that are around the £500-£600 price mark that would be great!!

the Trek 1.2 is a very decent bike, i wouldn't call it entry level, the same for the other options, anyway, how tall are you ? proper bike fit is very important

The shop that I went into these were the cheapest ones, hence why I thought they were entry level!!

I am 6' 1".

ok you are looking then for a 56cm to 58cm frame size, or an L large, it is good that you picked these bike options from an actual bike shop, because then you can try them before buying, and you get the all important post-purchase customer service and maintenance jobs for the future, they will also carry accessories for future upgrades etc,

All decent choices. I'd be inclined to stay away from the Fuji with the triple crank -- the compact cranks keep things a bit simpler, and should provide sufficient gear range.

FWIW, I've heard nothing but stellar reviews of the Specialized Allez line. In general, however, it seems to me that Fuji tends to offer slightly better bang for buck when compared with offerings from Specialized/Trek/Cannondale at the same price point. For example, the Fuji Sportif you've listed has a carbon fork vs. the aluminum fork on the Allez, and a slightly upgraded rear derailleur. Like you, I've been off bikes for many years - until this week - so anything from me is to be taken with a grain of salt as I can only make these comparisons on paper.

If there is any flexibility in your price range, the slightly more expensive Specialized Allez Sport seems to be one of the best-reviewed bikes on the planet in the sub-$1,000 USD price range. When I started my search for a bike, I was initially looking for a road bike at less than $1k, and all of my online research kept leading me back to that model.

As a side note, it always amazes me how clever merchants are at setting their prices and component packages at just the right intervals to make us always want to spend a little more...

FlyingPancreas said:
As a side note, it always amazes me how clever merchants are at setting their prices and component packages at just the right intervals to make us always want to spend a little more... 
you know this economics' Nobel prize winner who died recently, Ronald Coase, he came up with a theory (coase conjecture) about how a company selling long term goods starts competing with themselves to sell new items, i think it applies to cycling and to technology, for example drivetrain improvements, or new iphone presentations, or customer&product support deadlines for old windows software, so a bike company or component manufacturer company do not offer the best technology or best product they have as soon as possible, we get to buy them in stages, one little improvement at a time,

Quote: Originally Posted by FlyingPancreas .
FWIW, I've heard nothing but stellar reviews of the Specialized Allez line. In general, however, it seems to me that Fuji tends to offer slightly better bang for buck when compared with offerings from Specialized/Trek/Cannondale at the same price point. For example, the Fuji Sportif you've listed has a carbon fork vs. the aluminum fork on the Allez, and a slightly upgraded rear derailleur. Like you, I've been off bikes for many years - until this week - so anything from me is to be taken with a grain of salt as I can only make these comparisons on paper.

On a buzz-word feature basis, Fuji and some other brands can look better than what's offered by the biggies, but that does not necessarily translate to a better bike. For instance, the Trek 1.1 uses an aluminum fork to help reach its price point, but very little is lost to a carbon fork in terms of ride and weight.

While I'm not familiar with the Sportif range, I've worked with the predecessor Newest line, and I had to say that the frames were pretty uninspired next to the Allez or Trek 1-series. On the other hand, the slightly upmarket Roubaix line has always been impressive and it's usually pretty deeply discounted.

Quote: Originally Posted by oldbobcat .
On a buzz-word feature basis, Fuji and some other brands can look better than what's offered by the biggies, but that does not necessarily translate to a better bike. For instance, the Trek 1.1 uses an aluminum fork to help reach its price point, but very little is lost to a carbon fork in terms of ride and weight.

While I'm not familiar with the Sportif range, I've worked with the predecessor Newest line, and I had to say that the frames were pretty uninspired next to the Allez or Trek 1-series. On the other hand, the slightly upmarket Roubaix line has always been impressive and it's usually pretty deeply discounted.

Interesting point, and a good one. This is where the grain of salt comes in handy when considering anything I might have to say about bikes. Given my lack of experience and familiarity with the intricacies of bike construction, the finer nuances of geography and materials are important factors I might easily overlook or simply not understand. The "buzz-word feature basis" is pretty much my whole basis, at the moment.

You really can't go wrong with the entry level bikes from any of the US-based biggies (Trek and Specialized) and almost biggies (Cannondale, Felt, Raleigh, etc.) and that Taiwanese biggie, Giant. And if you need to pinch pennies, the Diamondback Podium series, as well as Fuji's Sportif, are worth a look. And the Fuji Roubaix line offers excellent value.

As a beginner you should seek out a shop that lets you test ride a few bikes and will give you good service and support.

I'm also trying to get into cycling (but I have no idea what to expect yet..). Could any experienced rider help me out also?

Trek 1.1C '14 - $800
Trek 1.2 C '14 - $1000
Trek 1.2 T '14 - $1000
Giant Defy 3 '14 - $1000
Giant Revolt 2 '14 - $1000 (cyclocross)
Trek Domane '13 - $1200
Giant TCR 2 '14 - $1250

What is the difference between "C" and "T" and what makes 1.1 cheaper by 200 dollars?

I'm around 165cm. Does that mean size 52cm will fit me? Is bordo lock better than u-lock?

I've heard good things about defy 1/2/3 and if I had no information whatsoever - I would seriously consider Defy 3 as an option. Would I be going wrong? Would buying any above make me go wrong?

Thanks in advance for your answer.