which bottom bracket?

robwatson35

Apr 30, 2007
I'm changing my crankset to a compact shinamo R600/700 from an octalink, but don't know which bottom bracket I need, anybody know?

robwatson35 said:
I'm changing my crankset to a compact shinamo R600/700 from an octalink, but don't know which bottom bracket I need, anybody know?
I'm doing the exact same thing in about two weeks. I've already assembled all the parts and just need time to get around to the wrenching. I'm a very novice wrench but trying to get better. Let me know if you discover anything worth telling a newbie wrench!

Good luck.

roadhog said:
I'm doing the exact same thing in about two weeks. I've already assembled all the parts and just need time to get around to the wrenching. I'm a very novice wrench but trying to get better. Let me know if you discover anything worth telling a newbie wrench!

Good luck.
i'm not sure about how to grease the BB either, or if the hollowtech need grease,etc, if you have any info would be a good help.
cheers

robwatson35 said:
i'm not sure about how to grease the BB either, or if the hollowtech need grease,etc, if you have any info would be a good help.
cheers
Only part of the BB that needs to be greased is the cup threads. If you're putting alloy cup into alloy frame, then grease is fine. If you're putting alloy cup into steel frame, then I would use anti-seize compound, which is a special kind of grease. (I don't think that any of the BB cups are steel, but if so, then the same logic applies to any steel/alloy combination.) Axle splines should also be greased, as should the L crank pinch bolt threads. A little grease on the axle may help it slip through the cups,but is not essential.