which brand?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cin, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. cin

    cin New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    hi everyone,
    help! im looking at purchasing a new bike as i have to give my friends back. ive only been riding for around 3 months and need to know what the difference between brands are?
    looking at spending between $700 and $1000. trek, diamond back, look, avanti,etc whats the difference?
    are diamond back any good cos it seem to be the cheapest with the same components as the trek and $200 cheaper.

    if anyone has any advice it would be really appriciated. thanks

    Tags:

  2. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "cin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > know what the difference between brands are? looking at spending between $700 and $1000. trek,
    > diamond back, look, avanti,etc whats the difference? are diamond back any good cos it seem to be
    > the cheapest with the same components as the trek and $200 cheaper.

    It's like anything else really. Products have "name" brands or more respected brands or brands that
    have greater consumer desire.

    From the brands you listed: Trek and Look have been around for years and are, _I_ believe, highly
    respected. Avanti have been making bikes for years too and have a good name. I have an Avanti mtb.
    Diamond Back have been around for a while but they only recently (last couple of years) seem to have
    good level road bikes. I think they are just a cheaper frame with Shimano components - don't take my
    word as gospel though! I think Trek has some kind of lifetime warranty on their frames and they do
    have quite a name (Lance Armstrong rides them) so they can charge more. I've only seen carbon fibre
    Look bikes and I imagine these are quite expensive - maybe they make cheaper models to suit your
    price bracket - anyone?

    What you need to do is find a bike shop that stocks bikes in your price range (that'd be nearly all
    of them ;-)) and test ride a few bikes to see if you notice anything different with them. If not,
    buy the Diamond Back and love it! If you can spot a difference and you think one bike is better than
    another, consider the cost of the "improvement" and what it actually does for you.

    Where are you located? Maybe someone can suggest a good bike shop (LBS) in your area.

    hth hippy

  3. Dj

    Dj Guest

    I'm not sure if you are loking at road bikes or Mountain bikes but assuming it is the mountain bikes
    you are after, I have a 2 yr old Diamondback Sorrento Sports which cost me $799 at the time, and has
    only the Acera front derailer and Alivio at the back (not that there is anything wrong with this
    set-up) but now the Sorrento has the Deore set -up for $699 (i'm really cheesed off now!! hehehe)

    Although i don't ride as much as I want to, the Diamondback still feels the same as when I bought
    it..nice and tight.

    The only thing i would've liked was a higher stem set-up but other than that, it's a good buy. This
    price i seen only a month ago in a bike shop in Parramatta.

    The price also includes adjustable front shocks.

    Good luck whatever you find.