Which Campy brifter for my new bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Douglas, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Eric Douglas

    Eric Douglas Guest

    Greetings all,

    I'm trying to decide between the Record, Chorus or Veoce brifters.

    Weight is not a concern, tho' durability is.

    I should also add that i have access to a pair of Carbon Record 10s at the same price that i would
    pay for the Chorus brifters, although I'm a bit suspicious of carbon when it comes to a brake lever.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks much,

    Eric Douglas

    Tags:

  2. Eric-<< I'm trying to decide between the Record, Chorus or Veoce brifters.

    Weight is not a concern, tho' durability is. >><BR><BR>

    All three shifters will exhibit the same long durability. The only difference is in materials...and
    whether or not the shift lever has a hole in it..The cart bearings make fo no more durability nor do
    they affect function or feel(in Record and Chorus).

    << I should also add that i have access to a pair of Carbon Record 10s at the same price that i
    would pay for the Chorus brifters, although I'm a bit suspicious of carbon when it comes to a brake
    lever. >><BR><BR>

    We have seen more than a few Record levers involved in a crash, and altho we have carbon brake
    levers in stock, we have never had to replace one.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Eric Douglas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm trying to decide between the Record, Chorus or Veoce brifters. Weight is not a concern, tho'
    > durability is. I should also add that i have access to a pair of Carbon Record 10s at the same
    > price that i would pay for the Chorus brifters, although I'm a bit suspicious of carbon when it
    > comes to a brake lever.

    Ergo internal pieces are identical across the range with one exception. Record and Chorus have a
    cartridge bearing for the main pivot where the others have a nice bronze journal. There is no
    practical difference I can see, although theoretically the bronze sleeve should get sloppy in time.

    In service, the carbon lever has proved as durable as the others. Even the nylon Mirage is
    adequate. When you smash any of them into the pavement at speed they break, just like all brake
    levers. Otherwise they are dependable and there's no difference in frequency of replacement across
    the range.

    So the decision often gets made from aesthetic values ( Record looks very nice with a Kestrel Talon
    SL innatural carbon, for example) as much as from "pride of ownership" ("I can afford the one with
    the cutout")

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > The cart bearings make fo no more durability nor do they affect function or feel(in Record and
    > > Chorus).

    "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message > Then why do my Chorus levers have a
    lighter action than cheaper Ergos, and
    > why does Campag use the bearings?

    I think the cartridge bearing _should_ wear longer without sideplay. A bronze sleeve _should_ get
    sloppy with mileage. But, like Peter, I can't feel the difference and I don't see sloppy
    Athena/Daytona/Centaur/Veloce/Mirage/Avanti levers.