Which car should I get?

Simon Mason

Guest
I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here. You
see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a Formula 1 car,
it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.

That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house, nor
when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and it shakes
me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the motorway and
handles like a pregnant camel.

I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing what
I want. Please help ;-)

Simon Mason
Hull

[email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in news:8862a1cc.0308131106.77ada4b2 @posting.google.com:

> I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here. You
> see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a Formula 1
> car, it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.
>
> That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house, nor
> when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and it
> shakes me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the
> motorway and handles like a pregnant camel.
>
> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)
>
> Simon Mason
> Hull

If you can afford that choice, Trek have a lovely range and I'll send you the address to get one
delivered to! Bill

--
Cyclists are always well-balanced.

Originally posted by Simon Mason
I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here. You
see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a Formula 1 car,
it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.

That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house, nor
when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and it shakes
me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the motorway and
handles like a pregnant camel.

I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing what
I want. Please help ;-)
forget the car and get a life
Simon Mason
Hull

Originally posted by Simon Mason
I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here. You
see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a Formula 1 car,
it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.

That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house, nor
when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and it shakes
me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the motorway and
handles like a pregnant camel.

I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing what forget the car and get a life instead
I want. Please help ;-)

Simon Mason
Hull

Simon Mason wrote:
> I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here. You
> see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a Formula 1
> car, it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.
>
> That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house, nor
> when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and it
> shakes me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the
> motorway and handles like a pregnant camel.
>
> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)

Every self-respecting British Citizen has at least two cars, how about a shiny new sports car and a
second-hand 4x4.

On 13 Aug 2003 12:06:07 -0700, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)

Obviously you need a Grinnall Scorpion recumbent tadpole trike car :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

Simon Mason wrote:

> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)

Good one - get Porsche Cayenne, seems like the best compromise or perhaphs a WRC car.

Still better yet - get C5. It has been produced so you buying one won't cause further enviromental
impact and if you ever get it to move under it's own power (apart from faling of a cliff) you can
truly say you have performed a miracle.

Kind regards

Bruno

james g wrote:
> Simon Mason wrote:

>> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
>> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
>> what I want. Please help ;-)
>

> Every self-respecting British Citizen has at least two cars, how about a shiny new sports car and
> a second-hand 4x4.

If you have kids, you can't be said to be a responsible parent unless you have a 4 ton V8 5 litre
4x4. Get with the program, man.But don't forget to stick a bike rack on the back so you can take
your £3k MTBs out twice in summer to do a spot of erosion.

Michael Calwell

Simon Mason wrote:
> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)

You're going to have to wait until 2004 for it, but the Alfa Romeo 156 Wagon 4WD would probably fit
the bill - you get road going 4WD and a racing pedigree/history even Ferrari would be jealous of, at
a price to make Ferrari owners jealous. They don't even rust like they used to...

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Simon Mason wrote:
> I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here. You
> see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a Formula 1
> car, it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.
>
> That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house, nor
> when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and it
> shakes me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the
> motorway and handles like a pregnant camel.
>
> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)

Every self-respecting British Citizen has at least two cars, how about a shiny new sports car and a
second-hand 4x4.

> I know this is a cycling forum, but my mate said the same dilemma came up a few days ago here.
> You see, I'm going to buy a new car and I don't know what to get. Another mate said get a
> Formula 1 car, it's got slick tyres and does over 200 mph and has fantastic handling.

> That's all well and good, but I tried one and it was no good on the gravel drive to my house,
> nor when I visit my Dad at his farm. It keeps grounding and the suspension is far too hard and
> it shakes me to bits. So he said get a 4x4, which is brillant off road, but is too slow on the
> motorway and handles like a pregnant camel.

> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car
> that is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not
> knowing what I want. Please help ;-)

Well, obviously you need all of the above, otherwise nobody will regard you as a Real Motorist.

But it seems that you have overlooked a few things. Remember those occasions when Aunt Mavis comes
to vistit with her four children and troop of performing monkeys... getting them from the train
station to your house (which, remember is over half a mile!!!!) is such a pain - obviously you need
a minibus too.

And then - well I'm sure you'll forgive me for being somewhat indelicate - there are those
situations where young ladies are, umm, amused by some of your proportions. Clearly you need a
Humvee, or perhaps better a Sherman tank to reasure yourself of your virility and machismo.

Then of course, there are those pangs of conscience you get after reading something in the Saturday
Guardian about the environment. Cleary you need a small car that does miles to the gallon, rather
than gallons to the mile, so that you can do your bit for the environment by occasionally using it
to drive to work.

Continued thread 94.... :)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:30:40 +0100, james g did issue forth:

> Every self-respecting British Citizen has at least two cars, how about a shiny new sports car and
> a second-hand 4x4.

Unless it bucks up it's ideas and decides to pass it's MOT in the next week or so, I might have a
second hand 4x4 going, as it happens.

Huw "I do all this welding and other stuff, and it's still not happy!" Pritchard

Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car
> > that is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not
> > knowing what I want. Please help ;-)
>
> You're going to have to wait until 2004 for it, but the Alfa Romeo 156 Wagon 4WD would probably
> fit the bill - you get road going 4WD and a racing pedigree/history even Ferrari would be jealous
> of, at a price to make Ferrari owners jealous. They don't even rust like they used to...

I've already got a 156. Anyway, didn't anyone pick up the allusion to the road bike vs. MTB debate
in the OP? I'm not in the market for a new car; it was a subtle gag! Simon

Simon Mason must be edykated coz e writed:

> Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car
>>> that is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not
>>> knowing what I want. Please help ;-)
>>
>> You're going to have to wait until 2004 for it, but the Alfa Romeo 156 Wagon 4WD would probably
>> fit the bill - you get road going 4WD and a racing pedigree/history even Ferrari would be jealous
>> of, at a price to make Ferrari owners jealous. They don't even rust like they used to...
>
> I've already got a 156. Anyway, didn't anyone pick up the allusion to the road bike vs. MTB debate
> in the OP? I'm not in the market for a new car; it was a subtle gag! Simon
Come on Simon, cyclists are lower life forms, you can't expect us to understand irony. Right where's
my vedgie burger and my pound of ganga?

Ian

Simon Mason wrote:
> I've already got a 156.

Um, I knew that. A 1999 blue 1.8 litre TS, if I'm not mistaken from your (old) website or posts on
alt.autos.alfa-romeo.

> Anyway, didn't anyone pick up the allusion to the road bike vs. MTB debate in the OP? I'm not in
> the market for a new car; it was a subtle gag!

You should still get a look at the 4WD when its out, if its a week you like your Alfa that is...

--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I've already got a 156
>
> Really? How long did it work for? My bro-in-law saw one with the engine stuffed in 43 miles -
> a record!

I've seen one stuffed inside 10 miles, but the cause was not component failure. My record for that
is a newly rebuilt Alfa engine after less than a mile.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >> I've already got a 156
> > Really? How long did it work for? My bro-in-law saw one with the
engine
> > stuffed in 43 miles - a record!
> I've seen one stuffed inside 10 miles, but the cause was not component failure. My record for that
> is a newly rebuilt Alfa engine after less than a mile.

This one was a crank through the crankcase job - the factory had forgotten to tighten the big ends!

--
Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>Really? How long did it work for? My bro-in-law saw one with the
>
> engine
>
>>>stuffed in 43 miles - a record!
>>
>>I've seen one stuffed inside 10 miles, but the cause was not component failure. My record for that
>>is a newly rebuilt Alfa engine after less than a mile.
>
> This one was a crank through the crankcase job - the factory had forgotten to tighten the
> big ends!

Doh! Mine was an (independent, but supposesedly knowledgable about Alfa) engine rebuilder with a
rather mixed reputation, whose first attempt at delivering the working engine had one cam 180
degrees out.

--

On Thu, 14 Aug, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Really? How long did it work for? My bro-in-law saw one with the engine stuffed in 43 miles - a
> record!

My immediate boss has an alfa of some variety (limited edition something or other - so far as I can
see that means they cut holes in the wings, made the seats even harder and put a little plaque on
the dashboard). The electric aerial for the radio doesn't work - you switch on the radio and at some
random time interval later (between about 2 and 30 minutes) the aerial motors up out of the boot and
you get reception.

Anyhow, being like this from absolutely brand new, he went back to the garage after he'd had it a
week to get it fixed. The chap at the garage said that well, he could try and fix it, but frankly
if that's the only quirk with teh electrics his advice would be to leave well alone and count
yourself lucky.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig