Which car should I get?

"Simon Mason" wrote

> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
> what I want. Please help ;-)

Neither. How about a car with a totally unconventional driving position (lying flat on your back,
say), that's really difficult to get into and out of, costs twice as much as regular cars, but, on
the positive side, can do twice the mpg?

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I've already got a 156
>
> Really? How long did it work for? My bro-in-law saw one with the engine stuffed in 43 miles -
> a record!

It's just done 63 000 miles. Its engine is not too bad as long as you keep pouring oil down its
neck at 25 quid a gallon.

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > I've already got a 156.
>
> Um, I knew that. A 1999 blue 1.8 litre TS, if I'm not mistaken from your (old) website or posts on
> alt.autos.alfa-romeo.
>
> > Anyway, didn't anyone pick up the allusion to
> > the road bike vs. MTB debate in the OP? I'm not in the market for a new car; it was a
> > subtle gag!
>
> You should still get a look at the 4WD when its out, if its a week you like your Alfa that is...

I'm keeping mine for as long as I can. I've got better things to do with my money than throw away
15 grand in deprecation over 3 years ;-).

Simon Mason wrote:
> I'm keeping mine for as long as I can. I've got better things to do with my money than throw away
> 15 grand in deprecation over 3 years ;-).

Ditto my 1998 GTV. I only said you should look, though, not buy.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

> > Really? How long did it work for? My bro-in-law saw one with the
engine
> > stuffed in 43 miles - a record!

> It's just done 63 000 miles. Its engine is not too bad as long as you
keep
> pouring oil down its neck at 25 quid a gallon.

Ah, the patent Rolling Two-stroke Conversion, starts around 40,000 miles. Know it well :)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in

> > It's just done 63 000 miles. Its engine is not too bad as long as you
> keep
> > pouring oil down its neck at 25 quid a gallon.
>

> Ah, the patent Rolling Two-stroke Conversion, starts around 40,000 miles. Know it well :)

It started using oil as soon as I got it. I was startled to see the red oil light come on at 800
miles in from new when I was cornering. I checked it ASAP and there was nowt in.

I had a luck escape- apparently lots of people have wrecked their engines through assuming it uses
no oil between services (like most cars). These twin spark engines are well known for liking oil.

Ian wrote:

> Right where's my vedgie burger and my pound of ganga?

Vedgie? Is that a previous-unsuspected species of squirrel?

(dies)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>On 13 Aug 2003 12:06:07 -0700, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:
>
>> I want to get a normal family saloon, but I am afraid I'll get laughed at, as I'll own a car that
>> is neither a racer nor an off roader and I'm scared I'll be considered a ditherer, not knowing
>> what I want. Please help ;-)
>
>Obviously you need a Grinnall Scorpion recumbent tadpole trike car :)

How do you mount a bike rack on that?

(Actually it looks like from September I might be driving our Ka while my wife has the big estate
car I currently stick my bike in to cycle from the Park and Ride Car Park. I picked up a Brompton
leaflet today.

And out for a family ride on Saturday (me with U+2 tandem trailer), my wife complained her bottom
hurt. "Recumbent", says me. "Actually I think one of those would suit me" she says, so there might
be dark side possibilities in the future too. She's going to try a Terry Liberator saddle first
though, since it's a lot cheaper.)

do some of the replies here mean people not realize that a joke is being made

SB