Which chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Kingson, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100 triple front derailer for my '80
    vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed cassette. I'll need a new rear
    derailer and chain. Questions:
    - The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed chain,
    or can I use the same type chain as I currently have?
    - Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?

    Thanks in advance,

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

    Tags:

  2. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:30:20 GMT, Bill Kingson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100 triple front derailer for my '80
    >vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed cassette. I'll need a new rear
    >derailer and chain. Questions:
    >- The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed chain,
    > or can I use the same type chain as I currently have?
    >- Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?

    One more question...
    - If I get a 9-speed rear derailer, will IT require the "super narrow HG chain"?

    Thanks,

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

  3. Bill Kingson wrote:
    > I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100 triple front derailer for my '80
    > vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed cassette. I'll need a new rear
    > derailer and chain. Questions:
    > - The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed chain,
    > or can I use the same type chain as I currently have?

    "9-speed" chain would be your best option for this setup. You could also use "ultra" width chain,
    also known as "7-speed" or "8-speed."

    > - Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?

    Yes.

    Sheldon "9? Ja!" Brown +---------------------------------------------+
    | I am not young enough to know everything. | -- Oscar Wilde |
    +---------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100 triple front derailer for my '80
    > vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed cassette. I'll need a new rear
    > derailer and chain. Questions:
    > - The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed chain,
    > or can I use the same type chain as I currently have?
    > - Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?

    The term "super narrow" meant something very different in 1980 than it does now. When you get your
    cassette and rear changer, just get whatever your LBS recommends for six speed setups, usually a KMC
    Z50 or something like it. I would not use a Shimano Nine chain in that application.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:30:20 GMT, Bill Kingson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100 triple front derailer for my '80
    > >vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed cassette. I'll need a new rear
    > >derailer and chain. Questions:
    > >- The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed
    > > chain, or can I use the same type chain as I currently have?
    > >- Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?
    >
    > One more question...
    > - If I get a 9-speed rear derailer, will IT require the "super narrow HG chain"?

    I don't think my suggestion of a KMC Z50 will run in a current Shimano nine rear deraillleur cage
    without rubbing. Get the widest thing you can that will still fit in the rear changer's cage,
    probably a PC-48 or similar.

  6. On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > > - Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?
    > Yes. Sheldon "9? Ja!" Brown

    Sneaking in with another question for Sheldon, or anyone else for that matter. I once had a 9-speed
    chain giving problems with the 6-speed cassette. At times, the chain would, upon friction shifting,
    stall without engaging between adjacent cogs. I was forced to replace it with a wider chain.

    Has that ever happened to you?

    Sergio Pisa

  7. wkingson-<< I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100 triple front derailer for
    my '80 vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed cassette. << I'll need a
    new rear derailer and chain. Questions:
    - The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed chain,

    As muich shimano doesn't want you to use this crank w/o changing your entire drivetrain to 9s...you
    do not-use a 8s chain, like a SRAM PC-58.

    And get like a Deore or Tiagra long cage rder..

    << Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?

    Not if the shifting is indexed or click shifting. It will if friction.

  8. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Check the year of crank production-I
    suspect that you are looking for the cheapest chain money can buy-to match the rear cassette.
    Problem being the fat chain wont shift well on a triple chainset-unless you start messing with
    cainring spacers. So your combination is @?£$"££ed. Do you really need the extra range of the triple
    front-dont forget you are not on a mountain bike.

    > wkingson-<< I just picked up a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset and RX-100
    triple
    > front derailer for my '80 vintage Shogun 12-speed road bike. The rear has a Uniglide 6-speed
    > cassette. << I'll need a new rear derailer and chain. Questions:
    > - The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Does it REQUIRE the 9-speed chain,
    >
    > As muich shimano doesn't want you to use this crank w/o changing your
    entire
    > drivetrain to 9s...you do not-use a 8s chain, like a SRAM PC-58.
    >
    > And get like a Deore or Tiagra long cage rder..
    >

    > << Will the 9-speed super narrow chain work on my old 6-speed cassette?
    >
    > Not if the shifting is indexed or click shifting. It will if friction.

  9. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:23:43 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Check the year of crank production-I
    >suspect that you are looking for the cheapest chain money can buy-to match the rear cassette.
    >Problem being the fat chain wont shift well on a triple chainset-unless you start messing with
    >cainring spacers. So your combination is @?£$"££ed. Do you really need the extra range of the
    >triple front-dont forget you are not on a mountain bike.

    I realize that I'm entering "bitza bike" territory with this project. "Bits 'o' this, and bits 'o'
    that". I prefer to call it "creative" rather than "@?£$"££ed". I DO, however feel that I need the
    climbing ratios to deal with some of my local hills. I already went as big as I could on the rear,
    13x30, and it doesn't give me the climbing gear I want.

    The project seems worthwhile, do-able, and I figured that this newsgroup was the best place to get
    help in sorting out the details. Down the road, perhaps I'll move to a 9-speed rear, but for now I
    don't want to spread the frame.

    Thanks to everyone for all the helpful feedback. I hope my next posting on this topic will be to say
    how well my 1980/2003 Shogun 18 speed bike is working! ;-)

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

  10. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    No offense meant, good luck.

    "Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:23:43 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The crankset is listed as "super narrow HG chain compatible". Check the year of crank
    > >production-I suspect that you are looking for the cheapest chain money can buy-to match the rear
    > >cassette. Problem being the fat
    chain
    > >wont shift well on a triple chainset-unless you start messing with
    cainring
    > >spacers. So your combination is @?£$"££ed. Do you really need the extra range of the triple
    > >front-dont forget you
    are