Which Clincher Tires Do You Race?

• Thread starter Under Estimated
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Under Estimated

Hello: i,and other people, would like to know what are the best clincher tire that you use for
racing? i, myself are using Vittoria open corsa cx tt and i find that they are rated for 170psi max
and have very low rolling resistance so right now i'm happy with them but would like your input on
other tires also.

THANK YOU EARL

EARL,

You know the Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comp is a great clincher, especially in yellow!

Ed - runs them at 170 psi - Gin

Under estimated and slow Bent wrote:

> Hello: i,and other people, would like to know what are the best clincher tire that you use for
> racing? i, myself are using Vittoria open corsa cx tt and i find that they are rated for 170psi
> max and have very low rolling resistance so right now i'm happy with them but would like your
> input on other tires also.
>
> THANK YOU EARL

[email protected] (Under estimated and slow Bent) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello: i,and other people, would like to know what are the best clincher tire that you use for
> racing? i, myself are using Vittoria open corsa cx tt and i find that they are rated for 170psi
> max and have very low rolling resistance so right now i'm happy with them but would like your
> input on other tires also.
>
> THANK YOU EARL

No doubt the Michelin Pro Race is the best tyre I ever had, my first Michelin (Axial Pro) had
brilliant ridabillity to. The pressure is not that important, cause the Michelin has excellent
rolling dynamics.

"Under estimated and slow Bent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello: i,and other people, would like to know what are the best clincher tire
that you
> use for racing? i, myself are using Vittoria open corsa cx tt and i find that they are
rated
> for 170psi max and have very low rolling resistance so right now i'm happy
with
> them but would like your input on other tires also.
>
> THANK YOU
>
EARL

I've raced a bunch of tires over the years. I've really liked the Conti Grand Prix tires with the
natural rubber, the Michelins (from Supercomps to the Pro Races), and even some of the Vittorias.

Things I've learned over the years: if you don't finish the race, you can't win. Its not the bike
its the rider. Its not the guy on the shiny new Ti bike you gotta worry about, its the guy on the
older bike that's well used.

Pick tires you like the cornering of and ride the hell out of them. That's the best way to
win races.

Mike

I posted a similar question a few years back. One of my replies came from Jobst Brandt -- the author
of "The Bicycle Wheel" and overall bicycle guru. He recommended Avocet Fasgrip TT 30s (that's all
just the name and model number -- not the size) as a great, light, fairly high pressure, durable and
low cost racing tire. They're hard to find, but I found a shop that orders them for me. They coast
about $29 each and they're just awesome tires. They ride great, they're WAY more durable than Axial
Pros, Conti Grand Prix or any of the other tires I've tried. They weigh the same or less than those
tires, and they cost almost half! They're rated for 125 psi. I regularly run them at 130 psi. I ride
700x20s. They have a very round profile, so they seem larger than other brands of 700x20s. They have
no tread pattern.

Bob C.

"Under estimated and slow Bent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello: i,and other people, would like to know what are the best clincher tire
that you
> use for racing? i, myself are using Vittoria open corsa cx tt and i find that they are
rated
> for 170psi max and have very low rolling resistance so right now i'm happy
with
> them but would like your input on other tires also.
>
> THANK YOU
>
EARL

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:11:50 +0000, psycholist wrote:

> I posted a similar question a few years back. One of my replies came from Jobst Brandt -- the
> author of "The Bicycle Wheel" and overall bicycle guru. He recommended Avocet Fasgrip TT 30s

I also listened to Jobst's advice (but you are riding far skinnier versions than he recommends for
most riding), and tried the Avocets. I think they're great. I had bought some Michelins before, and
the difference in feel was quite noticeable, as was the difference in my speed and performance
vis-a-vis my friends. So much so that I questioned my own experience, and checked here about it.
Rolliong resistance does matter, and Avocets are very hard to beat in that category. They corner
very well, and I won't ride anything else.

I use the creterium model, which is really 23mm (so labeled now, but used to be called 25). I get
3000-4000 miles on a tire, with few flats. First tires in a long time that I end up tossing because
the casing is showing through rather than due to damage.

People on this newsgroup rave about other brands, saying they get 1500 miles on a tire. To each his
own, I suppose, but for twice what an Avocet tire costs I expect more than half the mileage.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

Status
Not open for further replies.