Which Colnagos are made in Italy and which in Taiwan

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dsschanze, Apr 13, 2009.

1. dsschanze

dsschanze New Member

Does anyone know which Colnago frames are made in Italy and Taiwan or where it says which ones are...because at first glance at colnago.com, I don't see anywhere where it says.

Thanks,
    Derek

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

CLX == Taiwan

3. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Colnago started outsourcing to the Far East in '05-06. Of the current 2009 road model line-up, I recall reading that the CX-1 (carbon), CLX (carbon), Arte (aluminum-carbon) and Primavera (aluminum) are all made in Taiwan. For mountain frames, the Ibex (carbon) is Taiwanese made. The top end road frames are still Italian made - for now. The Taiwanese Colnagos are built by Giant Bicycles, in the same massive factory that turn out other models of Giants, Specialized, Treks, Diamondbacks, Konas, etc, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the Taiwanese frames, the finished product are as good as anything mass produced from Europe or North America. Only the ethnocentric snobs will lift their noses. Welcome to the global market. It's the same for componentry, Shimano, SRAM, FSA, etc. have much of their hardware made outside of the home country. Come to think of it, it's the case for every industry; auto, electronic, furniture, houseware, entertainment, etc, etc.

4. dsschanze

dsschanze New Member

Thanks...I guess you're right there's nothing wrong with the Taiwanese frame, I ride a CR-1 pro right now and it's great. The reason I asked is I am looking at the different Colango's for my next bike and some of the reviews I've read say that they would never buy the Taiwan frames - but it's true they are just ethnocentric snobs (unfortunately some of my riding buds are just that).

5. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Well, they sell fake Colnagos in the Phillippines too! Pick up lots of pirated software and dvds while there too, - but that's in an underground market. Make sure you have a latop computer to check out the stuff...

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agreed.

Just because the manufacturing has transferred from Italy to Taiwan - there is no reason to think that the quality will be affected.

7. gemship

gemship New Member

The CR-1 is a pretty light frame aren't Colnago's a little on the piggy side? and then there's the only a two year warranty deal( actually a discussion about that right now across the pond). Of course none of this matters because Colnago's are well made in Italy.

:rolleyes:

8. nbfman

nbfman New Member

What are people's thoughts on whether there is any benefit to the frame being made in Italy? For example, is the quality of workmanship higher, etc? Are the tolerances on high-end frames such that they require very tight quality control and expert craftsman that can not be found via outsourcing?

I wonder about losing design secrets if outsourcing to a competitor like Giant. Maybe there is not much difference in the designs/technology anymore, and brands like Colnago mainly rely on image.

9. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

There is no objective benefit to manufacturing in Italy. I'm not sure why you think that the only craftsmen able to manufacture to a tight tolerance would be in Italy. They're everywhere: Canada, Korea, China, Taiwan, India.

The Italian electronics that were on my Ducati 888 were less than, uhm, robust.

10. nbfman

nbfman New Member

I actually don't think so. To the opposite, I wondered if Giant might be able to do things better on the high end models, as it is a huge company, dedicated to bicycles, that can make large investments for state-of-the-art equipment, processes, design tools, etc.

11. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

I'll bet you'd get better resale value(less lost investment) if you have a Colnago(C40.. C50, 1995-2003 steel frame, or a higher quality Ti. frame(Master Ti. or CT1) , those are all made in Italy vs. a newer frame(used the same amount of years/miles) made in Tiawan. Then again, I suppose it also depends upon how you market/sell your item to begin with.

12. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, considering that bikes are lousy investments to begin with, I don't think I'd base a purchase on potential resale value. Personally, I prefer to ride my bike.

13. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

I beg to differ.

Bikes(any really) , if it gets you from point A to point B , your not consuming finite resources(petrol) , your getting daily exercise, and not contributing to the car congestion already out there.

It may not be an investment that triples your money in 5 years , however how much is your heath worth to you as you age ;) :) , to me a good/solid mental and physical heath is priceless.

In other words(another point of view), I've seen people buy $1000 Trek carbon frames, ride them hard for 4-5 years.. and sell them for $300.
    I've also seen people ride a $1400 Colnago steel frame hard for 4-5 years, and turn around and sell that frame for $700-1000

You decide what frame to buy ... but dont come crying to me when you get 1/4 of your money back when it comes time to sell.