which compact? (on a budget)

roadhog

Feb 13, 2005
I've decided to go compact (50/34). Currently running full ultegra 9 speed setup with a 53/39.

My funds are somewhat limited and I'd like to keep it under $200 so I know my choices might be limited. Is it possible to get at least a 105-quality comparable crankset? I'm not loyal to any brand but of course need it to be compatible with my current setup. I don't have a good handle for the quality of different versions offered by different brands (shimano, FSA, Truvativ, etc.).

Also, will I need a new front derailleur?

Thanks.

roadhog said:
I've decided to go compact (50/34). Currently running full ultegra 9 speed setup with a 53/39.

My funds are somewhat limited and I'd like to keep it under $200 so I know my choices might be limited. Is it possible to get at least a 105-quality comparable crankset? I'm not loyal to any brand but of course need it to be compatible with my current setup. I don't have a good handle for the quality of different versions offered by different brands (shimano, FSA, Truvativ, etc.).

Also, will I need a new front derailleur?

Thanks.

Lots of FSA and Truvativ in that price range. Also good deals on 2006 model square-taper Campagnolo cranksets are available. It works fine in the Shimano drivetrain. Centaur or Veloce compact + BB will be less than $150, maybe less than $125 if you really shop around.

I have a slightly used 50/36 Truvativ GXP Elita setup with bottom bracket. Only about 125 miles on it. Switched to a 53/39 for the flats here in Florida. Cranks are 172.5mm. One odd thing though, on the inside of the 36 it says "ten speed only" I'm not sure but I would think it would work on a 9 speed. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'll let it go for $85 shipped within the 48 states. Good luck on your build.

the pistol said:
One odd thing though, on the inside of the 36 it says "ten speed only" I'm not sure but I would think it would work on a 9 speed. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It doesn't work with 9s - I've tried. When changing up to the 50 from the 36, a 9s chain will skate over the teeth of the 50.

I swapped the cranks onto a 10s bike I have, and no such problems.

n

thanks for the information Nerdag, I knew somebody would have the skinny. Still available though but Only for a 10 Spd.