Which company makes the better road bike trek or giant?

mike7382

Jul 27, 2004
I have been thinking of getting a trek 1200 road bike. Just recently i was looking on giant.com and saw an giant ocr3 which was really nice as well. So I was wandering what some of your opinions are on the matter.

mike7382 said:
I have been thinking of getting a trek 1200 road bike. Just recently i was looking on giant.com and saw an giant ocr3 which was really nice as well. So I was wandering what some of your opinions are on the matter.

both make good bikes and you're going to find opinions on both sides.

test ride both and see what your body tells you or what your negotiating skills can accomplish with each LBS.

mike7382 said:

should of made this a pole, anyways if you need a medium ocr 3, the 2004 is out in the US

mike7382 said:
Most major bike makers are going to have similar products at similar price points. especially at the more moderatly priced levels. The best thing you can do is go out and ride 1) one that is way above your price point, so you get an idea of what a bike can perform like; 2) then look around at the different bike shops and try and decide who knows what they are talking about and who is going to provide you the best service; 3) then ride 3 or 4 different bikes, decide which one is the most comfortable, buy that one. Your not going to enjoy a bike that isnt comfortable no matter how well it performs. Odds are if you enjoy the sport your going to be going back to that shop time and time again.

So comfortable bike, good business relationship with your LBS of choice. Brand is not really a factor.

As much as I would like to rec. a Trek, I would suggest trying out all different brands and models.

Ever since a little kid, I've gone through Mongoose, Schwinn, Fuji, and now Trek and have found the brand I like the most.

Go to your LBS and ask them to show you all the bikes in your 'asking area', whether it be price, reliability, or 'how much bike you want', THEN make a decision.

Salsa makes some good points btw

GOOD LUCK!

mike7382 said:

A friend of mine bought a 1200, nice enough but he has out grown it in less than a year. My wife just got a Giant TCR Alloy in size medium. I have ridden it and I love it, and after that experience I wouldn't settle for anything less
than Ultegra....The bike comes nicely equiped for $1,400 US.

02Argon18 said:
where the frame is cracking at crucial points.
Eh, never heard of that. Not saying you haven't read or been told that, but I'm guessing this is the purely annecdotal recounting of a freak problem.

The best products from any company can die freakishly. The question is whether there's a real trend towards that -- and I don't think there is.

Both of these companies have reputations for producing reliable, sturdy frames. Myself and a lot of my riding budies have spent lots of time on Giant road frames, and I've never encountered or heard of a problem with cracks. With the exception of some versions of the Fuel MTB frame, the same goes for Trek.

With their traditional frame sizes, Trek is arguably easier to match to a given rider; if you find a Giant that suits you, though, by all means, go for it. For the undecided, it's all about feel and fit.

lokstah said:
Eh, never heard of that. Not saying you haven't read or been told that, but I'm guessing this is the purely annecdotal recounting of a freak problem.

The best products from any company can die freakishly. The question is whether there's a real trend towards that -- and I don't think there is.

Both of these companies have reputations for producing reliable, sturdy frames. Myself and a lot of my riding budies have spent lots of time on Giant road frames, and I've never encountered or heard of a problem with cracks. With the exception of some versions of the Fuel MTB frame, the same goes for Trek.

With their traditional frame sizes, Trek is arguably easier to match to a given rider; if you find a Giant that suits you, though, by all means, go for it. For the undecided, it's all about feel and fit.
I agree with u 100%. after reading reviews from more than 100 posts, i was just relaying some imformation. I love Trek and I own a fuel 80, but after buying my Argon I am all about shopping around,because you never know what brand is gonna suit you.