which cycle computer

bammyman

Jul 2, 2006
Im buying my first road bike in days and iwanna get a really good bike pc.Anyone have any suggestion on what the using now.Thanks

bammyman said:
Im buying my first road bike in days and iwanna get a really good bike pc.Anyone have any suggestion on what the using now.Thanks
While it is not the cheapest, and certainly not the best, I recommend the Shimano FlightDeck because (based on the past several years):
  • it is waterproof ... most (probably) are, BTW.
  • even if your current bike doesn't have Shimano components, a future bike probably will have Shimano shifters ...
But, mainly because Shimano has more harnesses available for more configurations -- the same computer "head" can be used with a hard-wired or wireless harness ... and, the same computer "head" can be used with MTB or "road" bike ...

Certainly, future FlightDeck harnesses will probably (but, no guarantees!) be compatible with current FlightDeck computer "heads" ... so, obsolesence is lessened ALTHOUGH some functions may not be accessible with some shifters and/or harnesses. For example, there is a "universal" MTB harness which does not properly display the gearing ... and consequently, functions like cadence are not available.

alfeng said:
While it is not the cheapest, and certainly not the best, I recommend the Shimano FlightDeck because (based on the past several years):
  • it is waterproof ... most (probably) are, BTW.
  • even if your current bike doesn't have Shimano components, a future bike probably will have Shimano shifters ...
But, mainly because Shimano has more harnesses available for more configurations -- the same computer "head" can be used with a hard-wired or wireless harness ... and, the same computer "head" can be used with MTB or "road" bike ...

Certainly, future FlightDeck harnesses will probably (but, no guarantees!) be compatible with current FlightDeck computer "heads" ... so, obsolesence is lessened ALTHOUGH some functions may not be accessible with some shifters and/or harnesses. For example, there is a "universal" MTB harness which does not properly display the gearing ... and consequently, functions like cadence are not available.

I am SO disappointed. I thought you were an avowed Campagnolo man!!! ;)

John M said:
I am SO disappointed. I thought you were an avowed Campagnolo man!!! ;)
I remain a BIG Campy fan! HONEST ...

But, Shimano is the coin-of-the-realm ... so, the answer makes that presumption.

And, I think I have always prefaced my preference for ERGO shifters by stating how much appreciation I have for Shimano's OTHER components & their customer service in NA. Credit where credit is due ...

So, all our actively-ridden road bikes have FlightDeck harnesses/computers + Campagnolo shifters even though I do have one Ergobrain (currently, back in its box!) -- mygod ... will they EVER get a wireless harness for that Ergobrain computer head so I won't have to run a stupid wire down the downtube? After all, Cateye makes BOTH the FlightDeck & Ergobrain, AFAIK ...

And, until Campagnolo has a wireless option (there IS a minor problem with the wireless computer harness, BTW) -- OR, cheaper harnesses -- I can't recommend their Ergobrain computer.

I've been really happy with the CatEye Astrale 8. It's not pricey, ($35) gives cadence and works off the rear...bonus on a trainer.
I haven't messed with any of the wireless computers...heard too many horror stories about them being fickle.

I also use the CatEye Astrale 8 - It has most of the features I need and for me cadence is important (due to my gammy knee). I've had it for about 7 months now and had no issues with it.

A friend recommended that I go wireless so that I have less cable ties. He had a wire computer and reckons his cable ties rubbed off the paint in certain spots. I haven't experienced any issues yet, but he's had his for a few years now.
I couldn't justify the extra expence when I bought it.

I third that recommendation. I, too, have the Cateye Astrale 8. Cadence was the main reason I got it and it has rear sensors that work with my trainer.

I've ridden in heavy rain and had no problems with it.

Good luck on the new bike! I bought my first road bike in Feb for the MS150 bike ride in Dallas! Really fun but mentally tough! :)

I have the Echowell F-2 with wired cadence. It is about four months old and I have had no problems with it. Both sensors run off the rear wheel so I can use it on my trainer. I paid about $35 US.