Which deep carbon clinchers? DA 7850 or Reynolds DV46

Glen75

Jun 11, 2007
I'm looking to purchase a set of Carbon clinchers. Which would you guys recomend between the Dura ace 7850 C50 or Reynolds DV46 ? I'm swaying towards the Shimano wheels due to alloy braking surface, but i like the idea of the Reynolds warrranty.

Btw-Rider is close to 100KG, is that going to pose a problem on either set of wheels?

Glen75 said:
I'm looking to purchase a set of Carbon clinchers. Which would you guys recomend between the Dura ace 7850 C50 or Reynolds DV46 ? I'm swaying towards the Shimano wheels due to alloy braking surface, but i like the idea of the Reynolds warrranty.

Btw-Rider is close to 100KG, is that going to pose a problem on either set of wheels?

No expensive, lightish, low spoke count wheel is made for somebody 100kg(220 pounds). I think any 'advantage' gained will be offset by lack of reliability. Better performance gains to be made elsewhere..way less expensive also.

Glen75 said:

Beyond the issue of the weight of the rider ...

And, beyond one braking surface vs. the other ...

I believe the consideration for the cyclist should possibly be LOOSE bearings (Shimano) vs. CARTRIDGE bearings (presumably, Reynolds).

Unless a person is a sponsored rider with a handy race mechanic OR has access to multiple wheelsets, my preference-and-recommendation would always be to choose the hubs with loose bearings ... but, having said THAT, I need to say that in addition to having wheels with Shimano/Campagnolo/etc. hubs which have loose bearings that I also have several wheelsets with HUGI/DT hubs. That is, if you/(generic) have wheel with cartridge bearings, then you will likely NOT have the wheels for at least a day if-and-when the bearings need to be serviced unless you can DIY & have the cartridge bearings in hand (i.e., readily available).

I am currently starting to plan next years season and am looking to go to europe on a few occasions to race. First of all i hear there are races in february in majorca that you can just turn up and ride by showing your license, these are UCI races i hear open to all. Can anyone provide me with any information on these races?

Secondly i am wanting to go to belgium to race for a month or two in july. I am currently looking for a place to stay for this period, can anyone help me out with this? Preferably i would like to stay with others so that i can have help if needed getting to races and how to get started over there.

And thirdly, does anyone know of any stage races in europe that individuals can enter? I am looking to go and ride some but cannot find any information about such events.

Any help is a big help and much appreciated.. Thank you