Which electric razor works the best?

BassDave

Jun 30, 2004
I'm curious to know which electric razor does the best job in the following areas:

1. Closeness of shave.
2. Longevity of screens/cutters.

What is your input?

Thanks!

PseudoTrek said:
I'm curious to know which electric razor does the best job in the following areas:

1. Closeness of shave.

What is your input?

Thanks!
I've got a nice high-end Braun--I forget which model, though I know it's not one of those ones with a self-cleaning charger base--and although it shaves pretty darn close, I find that it only does so if I really work it against the grain... a no-no for some faces, including mine.

If I go upwards as I cut, with either a traditional razor or an electric one, the hairs do something screwy as they grow back out--they ******** my skin, and I get a few small zits every time ("razor bumps" my ass; it's a little red knob with a glob of pus in it).

I can get a tad closer going with-the-grain using a plain old Schick.

PseudoTrek said:

1. Closeness of shave.

What is your input?

Thanks!
It's the one they use before you go in the electric chair and put on the copper helmet. It doesn't matter if you get a few nicks, and the blades last for years because they are not in daily use.

I've had two Remingtons and the motors burned up on both of them way too soon. I'll buy another electric when we have another California drought.

DiabloScott said:
I've had two Remingtons and the motors burned up on both of them way too soon. I'll buy another electric when we have another California drought.
Hairy or what?
California drought? That should be sooner rather than later by all accounts according to the agri consumption rates. You shave all over everyday then?

FredC said:
Hairy or what?
California drought? That should be sooner rather than later by all accounts according to the agri consumption rates. You shave all over everyday then?

Please explain how agricultural consumption affects rainfall. No, don't bother... it doesn't.

I shave only my face currently. Never shaved my legs with an electric, not even the initial springtime shearing.

Sorry for topping this, getting tired of the Christian / Schiavo / WMD threads

DiabloScott said:
Please explain how agricultural consumption affects rainfall. No, don't bother... it doesn't.

I shave only my face currently. Never shaved my legs with an electric, not even the initial springtime shearing.

Sorry for topping this, getting tired of the Christian / Schiavo / WMD threads
I agree with you entirely on the last bit, these sort of threads normally get subverted then become useless. The WMD one will rumble on a bit longer because of Bush, but his supporters no longer post here nowadays. The publicity blimp will probably move on to Michael Jackson, and Bush blaming the CIA and MI.
I never said that agriculture affects rainfall?. It absorbs and uses the rainfall to the detriment of collection and domestic usage in the massive connurbations where you live.
Hey who cares about having a shave. This is just another excuse for the Hippies to make a comeback.

FredC said:
I agree with you entirely on the last bit, these sort of threads normally get subverted then become useless. The WMD one will rumble on a bit longer because of Bush, but his supporters no longer post here nowadays. The publicity blimp will probably move on to Michael Jackson, and Bush blaming the CIA and MI.
I never said that agriculture affects rainfall?. It absorbs and uses the rainfall to the detriment of collection and domestic usage in the massive connurbations where you live.
Hey who cares about having a shave. This is just another excuse for the Hippies to make a comeback.

Okay, I am legitimately confused. Perhaps I don't fully understand the nature of the "Bloody Soapbox" portion of the cyclingforums. I took it to be similar to the Misc. threads in other forums. If I'm wrong, please inform me of what topics are appropriate for this section.

By the way, I'm not sure if you're calling me a Hippy or not. I actually do cycle [have a nice TREK bike] but am interested in other topics as well. :confused:

PseudoTrek said:
Okay, I am legitimately confused. Perhaps I don't fully understand the nature of the "Bloody Soapbox" portion of the cyclingforums. I took it to be similar to the Misc. threads in other forums. If I'm wrong, please inform me of what topics are appropriate for this section.

By the way, I'm not sure if you're calling me a Hippy or not. I actually do cycle [have a nice TREK bike] but am interested in other topics as well. :confused:
Speaking with zero irony, I'd say it goes like this, Pseudotrek: as a venue for the irrelevant, the Bloody Soapbox is identical to the Bike Cafe. The only differentiator is nothing in the latter is supposed to **** anyone off. The Soapbox is supposedly reserved for controversy.

That said, since this question ("where should I be posting my inquiry?") can be pretty contentious on its own, anything goes for the Soapbox, right? If it can be argued over, it's valid.

I come here when I get a tired of the same subjects over and over in the Tech forum.

lokstah said:
Speaking with zero irony, I'd say it goes like this, Pseudotrek: as a venue for the irrelevant, the Bloody Soapbox is identical to the Bike Cafe. The only differentiator is nothing in the latter is supposed to **** anyone off. The Soapbox is supposedly reserved for controversy.

That said, since this question ("where should I be posting my inquiry?") can be pretty contentious on its own, anything goes for the Soapbox, right? If it can be argued over, it's valid.

I come here when I get a tired of the same subjects over and over in the Tech forum.

Ah! . . . . . . . . So posts about what electric razors work best would be best posted in the Bike Cafe, and not here. I see. Makes sence to me. Well, then in light of this revelation:

Electric razors really frustrate me. You buy new screens and cutters, at seemingly close to the cost of a new one, and they only last a couple of months. I have a Remington TCT, Total Closeness Technology,. . . . . . . my butt! If that's their idea of total closeness, then they're deluding people. I just want a stupid electric shaver that does a decent job and doesn't require replacements every couple of months. :mad:

Whew. Now if a moderator could move this to the Bike Cafe, that would be wonderful. :eek:

PseudoTrek said:
I have a Remington TCT, Total Closeness Technology,. . . . . . . my butt! If that's their idea of total closeness, then they're deluding people. I just want a stupid electric shaver that does a decent job and doesn't require replacements every couple of months. :mad:
Like many guys, I want the holy grail in shavers as well; it's a fool's game, I think. There's no way an electric could pull that off without doing strange things to your face. I can get a razor-close shave with my Braun if I drive it into my tissues, go slow as hell, and work against the grain only... as I previously complained, a recipe for bad effects. Can't beat them for quick and dirty, but hey, I didn't spend all that money for quick and dirty. I dished out on the Braun for pure excellence.

:cool:

Oh, and, uh, the president is a bratty thug (now we qualify for the Soapbox).

PseudoTrek said:
Ah! . . . . . . . . So posts about what electric razors work best would be best posted in the Bike Cafe, and not here. I see. Makes sence to me. Well, then in light of this revelation:

Electric razors really frustrate me. You buy new screens and cutters, at seemingly close to the cost of a new one, and they only last a couple of months. I have a Remington TCT, Total Closeness Technology,. . . . . . . my butt! If that's their idea of total closeness, then they're deluding people. I just want a stupid electric shaver that does a decent job and doesn't require replacements every couple of months. :mad:

Whew. Now if a moderator could move this to the Bike Cafe, that would be wonderful. :eek:
Why don't you do us all a favour, and get the Moderator to move this crappy thread.
BTW. Buy a packet of disposable wet shave razors to get a chin as smooth as a baby's bottom, and it's probably quicker too. Problem solved.

lokstah said:

Interesting point there. All the previous posters supporting Bush have melted away like a snowflake in July. Perhaps there is a we love Bush site somewhere, that they are not telling us about. Maybe it's at Halliburton KBR.

FredC said:

You said that a draught is likely because of the amount of water that agriculture is using. A draught is lack of rainfall. Overuse of water resources is an entirely different problem, with some of the same effects.

Disposable razors suck. I love my new Mach III Turbo though.

FredC said:
Why don't you do us all a favour, and get the Moderator to move this crappy thread.
BTW. Buy a packet of disposable wet shave razors to get a chin as smooth as a baby's bottom, and it's probably quicker too. Problem solved.

Moderator, . . move this crappy thread. Then buy me a packet of disposable wet shave razors. :mad:

DiabloScott said:
You said that a draught is likely because of the amount of water that agriculture is using. A draught is lack of rainfall. Overuse of water resources is an entirely different problem, with some of the same effects.

Disposable razors suck. I love my new Mach III Turbo though.
Right OK then. What I was trying to say was that if there was a drought (lack of rainfall, agreed) then the super agri business that you have down there will suffer alarmingly, as will the domestic supply. Now then the question is, should this situation arise who will bear the brunt of this? The agri business or the domestic customer?
BTW Draught and drought are completely different things.
I was just pointing out to the stubble brigade that if they are disatisfied with their shavers and the exorbitant costs involved that they might try a wet shave. Or in some cases an old cut-throat.

FredC said:
Right OK then. What I was trying to say was that if there was a drought (lack of rainfall, agreed) then the super agri business that you have down there will suffer alarmingly, as will the domestic supply. Now then the question is, should this situation arise who will bear the brunt of this? The agri business or the domestic customer?
BTW Draught and drought are completely different things.
I was just pointing out to the stubble brigade that if they are disatisfied with their shavers and the exorbitant costs involved that they might try a wet shave. Or in some cases an old cut-throat.

Oops - my bad on misspelling drought - I know better than that.

There is certainly competition for water and the agriculture industry is worried. They have billboards all up and down the central valley saying "FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS" to make us feel guilty about even considering restricting their use. Rice is one of our biggest crops though and that takes TONS of water. I think there's more money in avocados and we can import rice from China and India.

DiabloScott said:
Oops - my bad on misspelling drought - I know better than that.

There is certainly competition for water and the agriculture industry is worried. They have billboards all up and down the central valley saying "FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS" to make us feel guilty about even considering restricting their use. Rice is one of our biggest crops though and that takes TONS of water. I think there's more money in avocados and we can import rice from China and India.
Well if they've stuck placards up, they must feel as though they are on the backfoot already. Yes, it was sometime ago that I watched a documentary about the 'Water Wars', and although it wasn't a doom and gloom programme it did bring home the reality of the situation. As you rightly point out rice is a specific water thirsty crop. Perhaps they could pay rice farmers to diversify into other crops over a period of time, thus saving water consumption in the long term. One thing that can be guaranteed is that domestic consumption will not decrease. Hey just thought of something, won't Bush stick an illegal tariff on Chinese rice?

lokstah said:
Like many guys, I want the holy grail in shavers as well; it's a fool's game, I think. There's no way an electric could pull that off without doing strange things to your face. I can get a razor-close shave with my Braun if I drive it into my tissues, go slow as hell, and work against the grain only... as I previously complained, a recipe for bad effects. Can't beat them for quick and dirty, but hey, I didn't spend all that money for quick and dirty. I dished out on the Braun for pure excellence.

Your face must be as rough as a bears ass then? In my cave we have top class flints all lovingly knapped by Wilma and the kids.

You might qualify if you sing 'Hail to the Thief '.