Which Extra-Small Road Bike? (long)

Eurastus

Guest
I am looking for an extra-small road bike for my daughter; she's very excited to ride a "real bike"
with Daddy...I'd like to hear your opinions and advice...

She's about 4'5" tall, a skinny 55 pounds and is emphatic that she does not want to ride a Mountain
Bike like her brother...try as I might, I can't get her mind off a road bike with skinny tires and
drop-bars.

We've got a 1989 (I think) 48cm Cannondale that my wife used to ride many, many moons ago. (My wife
is only 5'2" so I don't expect my daughter to grow much more than that.) The Cannondale is in fine
shape--Shimano 105 7-speed components with down-tube shifters. I thought it looked too big but after
my daughter pleaded for a week; I was game to give it a try. I lowered the saddle, using the old
upside-down seat clamp method on a 27.2 seat pillar. The saddle rails are about 1/4 inch above the
seat collar; it's not going any lower but my daughter really needs it to go down another 3/4 to 1
inch. I replaced the standard stem with a 60mm extension...the reach appears to be OK. Break-reach
is just a bit too long, though.

My daughter can just barely ride the Cannondale, rocking her hips from side to side. She loves the
bike and wants to ride whenever the weather will allow. I don't like the bike fit at all. I think
she'd stop rocking if her legs were an inch longer...at the rate she's going, that might well be by
mid-summer.

I'd really like to get something that fits much better...maybe a 40-43cm with 650 wheels. Do you
have any suggestions as to what's available out there?

I notice that Cannondale now has a 40cm frame with 650 wheels available now but it retails at $1200
and up (depending on group)...too rich for our blood.

K2 has a model, the Mach 1.0, which is listed at 43cm, with a 51.2 cm top tube that at $520 is more
reasonable. It has Sora break levers, which can be adjusted down for smaller hands. None of the
local shops have one that small and will only order one if I put 50% down...I'd like her to ride it
before we commit to the purchase.

Anything else that small out there?

I'd really like to get something that fits her better before she wrecks the one she's riding, hurts
herself, and loses all interest in riding.

Thanks, Eurastus.

Eurastus wrote:

> I am looking for an extra-small road bike for my daughter; she's very excited to ride a "real
> bike" with Daddy...I'd like to hear your opinions and advice...
>
> She's about 4'5" tall, a skinny 55 pounds and is emphatic that she does not want to ride a
> Mountain Bike like her brother...try as I might, I can't get her mind off a road bike with skinny
> tires and drop-bars.
>
> We've got a 1989 (I think) 48cm Cannondale that my wife used to ride many, many moons ago. (My
> wife is only 5'2" so I don't expect my daughter to grow much more than that.) The Cannondale is in
> fine shape--Shimano 105 7-speed components with down-tube shifters. I thought it looked too big
> but after my daughter pleaded for a week; I was game to give it a try. I lowered the saddle, using
> the old upside-down seat clamp method on a 27.2 seat pillar. The saddle rails are about 1/4 inch
> above the seat collar; it's not going any lower but my daughter really needs it to go down another
> 3/4 to 1 inch. I replaced the standard stem with a 60mm extension...the reach appears to be OK.
> Break-reach is just a bit too long, though.
>
> My daughter can just barely ride the Cannondale, rocking her hips from side to side. She loves the
> bike and wants to ride whenever the weather will allow. I don't like the bike fit at all. I think
> she'd stop rocking if her legs were an inch longer...at the rate she's going, that might well be
> by mid-summer.
>
> I'd really like to get something that fits much better...maybe a 40-43cm with 650 wheels. Do you
> have any suggestions as to what's available out there?
>
> I notice that Cannondale now has a 40cm frame with 650 wheels available now but it retails at
> $1200 and up (depending on group)...too rich for our blood.
>
> K2 has a model, the Mach 1.0, which is listed at 43cm, with a 51.2 cm top tube that at $520 is
> more reasonable. It has Sora break levers, which can be adjusted down for smaller hands. None of
> the local shops have one that small and will only order one if I put 50% down...I'd like her to
> ride it before we commit to the purchase.
>
> Anything else that small out there?
>
> I'd really like to get something that fits her better before she wrecks the one she's riding,
> hurts herself, and loses all interest in riding.

Fuji makes a small version of their Sora-equipped model (Ace-SE?), with either 650 or 26" wheels.
It's probably similar to the K2, at a similar price. So you have one more to choose from.

Matt O.

Thanks for the good advice. However, as far as I can tell from their web-site, it's a 700C wheel. Am
I missing something?

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>Eurastus wrote:
>
>> I am looking for an extra-small road bike for my daughter; she's very excited to ride a "real
>> bike" with Daddy...I'd like to hear your opinions and advice...
>>
>> She's about 4'5" tall, a skinny 55 pounds and is emphatic that she does not want to ride a
>> Mountain Bike like her brother...try as I might, I can't get her mind off a road bike with skinny
>> tires and drop-bars.
>>
>> We've got a 1989 (I think) 48cm Cannondale that my wife used to ride many, many moons ago. (My
>> wife is only 5'2" so I don't expect my daughter to grow much more than that.) The Cannondale is
>> in fine shape--Shimano 105 7-speed components with down-tube shifters. I thought it looked too
>> big but after my daughter pleaded for a week; I was game to give it a try. I lowered the saddle,
>> using the old upside-down seat clamp method on a 27.2 seat pillar. The saddle rails are about 1/4
>> inch above the seat collar; it's not going any lower but my daughter really needs it to go down
>> another 3/4 to 1 inch. I replaced the standard stem with a 60mm extension...the reach appears to
>> be OK. Break-reach is just a bit too long, though.
>>
>> My daughter can just barely ride the Cannondale, rocking her hips from side to side. She loves
>> the bike and wants to ride whenever the weather will allow. I don't like the bike fit at all. I
>> think she'd stop rocking if her legs were an inch longer...at the rate she's going, that might
>> well be by mid-summer.
>>
>> I'd really like to get something that fits much better...maybe a 40-43cm with 650 wheels. Do you
>> have any suggestions as to what's available out there?
>>
>> I notice that Cannondale now has a 40cm frame with 650 wheels available now but it retails at
>> $1200 and up (depending on group)...too rich for our blood.
>>
>> K2 has a model, the Mach 1.0, which is listed at 43cm, with a 51.2 cm top tube that at $520 is
>> more reasonable. It has Sora break levers, which can be adjusted down for smaller hands. None of
>> the local shops have one that small and will only order one if I put 50% down...I'd like her to
>> ride it before we commit to the purchase.
>>
>> Anything else that small out there?
>>
>> I'd really like to get something that fits her better before she wrecks the one she's riding,
>> hurts herself, and loses all interest in riding.
>
>Fuji makes a small version of their Sora-equipped model (Ace-SE?), with either 650 or 26" wheels.
>It's probably similar to the K2, at a similar price. So you have one more to choose from.
>
>Matt O.

At 4'5" even a smallish 650c-wheel road bike is probably going to have too long a reach from seat to
handlebar (and that K2 you refer to, at 51cm top tube, is most certainly too long!). But you still
might be able to work something out with a 650c bike... had the exact same situation with my
10-year-old son. We changed from drop bars to uprights, using Shimano's new flatbar road brake &
shift levers. Works great and he really cruises on it!

Unfortunately, the bike we used is no longer made (the TREK 1000 KDZ), but sounds like the little
Fuji someone else mentioned might be similar.

"Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for an extra-small road bike for my daughter; she's very
excited
> to ride a "real bike" with Daddy...I'd like to hear your opinions and
advice...

> She's about 4'5" tall, a skinny 55 pounds and is emphatic that she does
not
> want to ride a Mountain Bike like her brother...try as I might, I can't
get her
> mind off a road bike with skinny tires and drop-bars.
>
> We've got a 1989 (I think) 48cm Cannondale that my wife used to ride many,
many
> moons ago. (My wife is only 5'2" so I don't expect my daughter to grow
much
> more than that.) The Cannondale is in fine shape--Shimano 105 7-speed components with down-tube
> shifters. I thought it looked too big but after
my
> daughter pleaded for a week; I was game to give it a try. I lowered the saddle, using the old
> upside-down seat clamp method on a 27.2 seat pillar.
The
> saddle rails are about 1/4 inch above the seat collar; it's not going any
lower
> but my daughter really needs it to go down another 3/4 to 1 inch. I
replaced
> the standard stem with a 60mm extension...the reach appears to be OK. Break-reach is just a bit
> too long, though.
>
> My daughter can just barely ride the Cannondale, rocking her hips from
side to
> side. She loves the bike and wants to ride whenever the weather will
allow. I
> don't like the bike fit at all. I think she'd stop rocking if her legs
were an
> inch longer...at the rate she's going, that might well be by mid-summer.
>
> I'd really like to get something that fits much better...maybe a 40-43cm
with
> 650 wheels. Do you have any suggestions as to what's available out there?
>
> I notice that Cannondale now has a 40cm frame with 650 wheels available
now but
> it retails at $1200 and up (depending on group)...too rich for our blood.
>
> K2 has a model, the Mach 1.0, which is listed at 43cm, with a 51.2 cm top
tube
> that at $520 is more reasonable. It has Sora break levers, which can be adjusted down for smaller
> hands. None of the local shops have one that
small
> and will only order one if I put 50% down...I'd like her to ride it before
we
> commit to the purchase.
>
> Anything else that small out there?
>
> I'd really like to get something that fits her better before she wrecks
the one
> she's riding, hurts herself, and loses all interest in riding.
>
> Thanks, Eurastus.

OOPS!!! spoke too soon. It appears that their "Finest Womens" model is available with Sora in a 44cm
with 650 wheels!!!

Thanks!!

The local bike shop is listed as a dealer (but I'm surethis small frame wouldn't be in stock)..I'll
give them a visit tomorrow.

Thanks again.

> [...]

> 650 wheels. Do you have any suggestions as to what's
available out there?

> I notice that Cannondale now has a 40cm frame with 650
wheels available now but
> it retails at $1200 and up (depending on group)...too rich
for our blood.

> K2 has a model, the Mach 1.0, which is listed at 43cm,
with a 51.2 cm top tube
> that at $520 is more reasonable. It has Sora break
levers, which can be
> adjusted down for smaller hands. None of the local shops
have one that small
> and will only order one if I put 50% down...I'd like her
to ride it before we
> commit to the purchase.
>
> Anything else that small out there?
>
> I'd really like to get something that fits her better
before she wrecks the one
> she's riding, hurts herself, and loses all interest in

Also check out the small size Giant road bikes - the smallest size compact frames are 43cm seat
tube. The OCR models also have an adjustable stem, and I believe the lowest Sora equipped model is
about $650. You should be able to find a local bike shop selling Giant bikes, and could try a fit. A
compact frame may also allow enough adjustment for her to continue to ride it for a couple of years
as she grows

Bummer!!! The only dealer Fuji has listed on their site within 100 miles from my home has gone out
of business...Guess it's mail order, then. Too bad.

In article <[email protected]>, Eurastus <[email protected]> writes:

>I am looking for an extra-small road bike for my daughter; she's very excited
>
>to ride a "real bike" with Daddy...I'd like to hear your opinions and advice...
>
>She's about 4'5" tall, a skinny 55 pounds and is emphatic that she does not want to ride a Mountain
>Bike like her brother...try as I might, I can't get her mind off a road bike with skinny tires and
>drop-bars.

Personally I'd consider modifying a child's mountain bike with skinny tires and drop bars. It could
dampen her enthusiasm if she lands hard on the top bar.

Due to the rate at which children grow they are always a problem with these things, the bike that
fits them today may not in 6 months. Some compromise is required unless Dad and Mom are made of
money, but saftey is not the place for that.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

"Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for an extra-small road bike for my daughter; she's very
excited
> to ride a "real bike" with Daddy...I'd like to hear your opinions and
advice...

> First, Hooray for your daughter! You might try a hybrid since most have
sloping top tubes. Replace the stem, handlebar, brake levers, and shifters to make it into a road
bike. The advantage is that you could probably find a used hybrid in the right size easier and
cheaper than the road bike. Downside - probably minimum $100 to make the conversion. Good luck to
you and your daughter.

I also heard that the Argon 18 R2 (24" wheels) and D2 (650 wheels) are worthy bikes in this same
size range. I cannot seem to find much on the web--apparently the Argon 18 web site is gone or down.
Any thoughts on this?

> [...]

were
> >an inch longer...at the rate she's going, that might well be by mid-summer.
> >
> >I'd really like to get something that fits much better...maybe a 40-43cm
with
> >650 wheels. Do you have any suggestions as to what's available out
there?

> >I notice that Cannondale now has a 40cm frame with 650 wheels available
now
> >but it retails at $1200 and up (depending on group)...too rich for our blood.
> >
> >K2 has a model, the Mach 1.0, which is listed at 43cm, with a 51.2 cm top
tube
> >that at $520 is more reasonable. It has Sora break levers, which can be adjusted down for smaller
> >hands. None of the local shops have one that
small
> >and will only order one if I put 50% down...I'd like her to ride it

Look at the Fuji Ace - on eBay all the time

Trailgalore,

I bought a Fuji Ace SE for my daughter last year. It's a wonderful bike, she has been really using
it a lot this year. I did a lot of research prior to buying, cannondale's were really geared towards
the advanced rider (nothing for the novice). Trek makes a kid bike (KR-1000?, something like that)
which is real close, but a few $ more ($100). Giant also makes a kid size bike, but I can't remember
their model or if it is still in production. I called most of the retail fuji shops w/i a 500 mile
radius from Atlanta. Got a shop in NC that would sell the bike, unassembled, add 2 waterbottle cages
and waterbottles, 1 shop T-shirt for $400 (shipping included). All they had to do is place an order
to FujiUSA distribution center - they received the bike, cracked open the corner, added extra items
and reciept and put it on a UPS truck. I get no service because they are in NC and I'm in Atlanta,
but that's ok because I don't trust 95% of the bike mechanics (kids) out there anyway. I had 1 dose
of reality when I saw a kid with a chisel in his had ready to remove my crown race from my Super
Record De Rosa Prestige. Anyway- she has a mix of Fuji/Shimano components on the bike (Sora level)
and she, as well as myself, are very pleased. Any questions - just ask. bike say's it's 24lbs, but
no way - it's less than that - maybe 22 to 23.

Good Luck, Dennis

Thanks for the word, Dennis. I also don't trust anyone near any of my bikes with a wrench
either...never mind a chisel!!. I worked in LBS's from the time I was a pre-teen until after I
completed college. If I've got the tool, I'll work on it myself; if I don't have the tool (like a
headset press or BB reamer), I'll borrow it from the last shop I worked at and still do it myself.
All hail to the garage/basement mechanics out there!!

I was able to find a somewhat local dealer that gave me an unbelievable deal on a 2003 Roubaix Pro
Womens in the 44cm size. I'm planning on stripping the non-small components from the frame and using
them on one of my own frames for a commuter bike and putting some old 105 I dredged out of my
junk-box onto the Roubaix frame for my daughter. She's very excited about the frame color...blue and
white are her favorites. To be frank, I couldn't believe the value of the whole Fuji road-bike line.

The bike's supposed to be at my door next week. My daughter (and I) can't wait!!

Thanks, Eurastus...