which flat bar road bike?

dbackmtg

Oct 9, 2005
I am in the market for a flat bar road bike. I mostly ride just for the fun of it, but kick it up every once in a while. I currently ride a bike with drop bars. I know that a flat bar will be slower, but after two back surgeries it's what I have to ride. I've already borrowed a flat bar for a couple of rides, it's much better for me. The bikes I'm looking at: Jamis coda supreme and comp, Specialized Sirrus comp and pro, trek 7.7 fx and 7.6, pilot 1.2 flat bar, cannondale sport road 1000 and 800, and the bianchi alfana. Any input would be appreciated. I'm also up to looking at other brands not mentioned. Also, I currently can purchase a Raleigh C700 for an unbelievable deal. Help me out if you can :)

Put the Felt SR-101, 91, 81, 71 on the "to look at" list. Very good handling and good equipment for the price. :cool:

Be aware that some brands have a shorter top tube than others for the same frame size, this may help your back. That's one of the reasons why I chose Felt.

I have a Jamis Coda Comp. It is a nice bike and I enjoy it. It is a steel frame and has a nice ride. Good luck on your choice! Enjoy riding whatever you get.:)

Well ... do not make the mistakes of many like me.

Get drop bars and a taller stem if you want the comfort - upright position, and slowly start lowering it down as you see fit.

Never ever ever ever buy anything else than a road or track bike if you are not going literally over huge piles of rocks or something like that.:mad:

Enjoy your bike .... get a regular road bike

They can be had for 600 usd .... or a track bike - those without shifting mechanisms and only one gear - for about the same money.:D

gclark8 said:
Put the Felt SR-101, 91, 81, 71 on the "to look at" list. Very good handling and good equipment for the price. :cool:

Be aware that some brands have a shorter top tube than others for the same frame size, this may help your back. That's one of the reasons why I chose Felt.
Thank you for your help. It will help me in my purchase

TeleVizedPayne said:
I have a Jamis Coda Comp. It is a nice bike and I enjoy it. It is a steel frame and has a nice ride. Good luck on your choice! Enjoy riding whatever you get.:)
Instead of thanking each one seperately Iwill thank you all at once. all the info has come in handy. I now have alot of bikes to test ride. thanks again. greg