which fork is better?

nikos73gr

Jul 30, 2004
I have a Scott elite racing and I want to upgrade the fork!

I am thinking two choices:
1.Manitou black platinum
2.Rockshox phylo SL

Can anyone tell me which fork is better, with less problems etc...

nikos73gr said:

1.Manitou black platinum
2.Rockshox phylo SL

*If* (and *only* if) those are your only two choices, the Black would be the preferable fork. The Psylos are horribly flexy and have the dreaded plastic internals RS is famous for. RS sold plenty of them and lots ride them, but they are not good forks. The Black line is passable, but not great.

Why are those your only two choices for a new shock?

K.

nikos73gr said:

1.Manitou black platinum
2.Rockshox phylo SL

I would go with the Manitou. The Rock Shox bushings go bad in under a year.

Ok what do you suggest?
ireman_1 said:
*If* (and *only* if) those are your only two choices, the Black would be the preferable fork. The Psylos are horribly flexy and have the dreaded plastic internals RS is famous for. RS sold plenty of them and lots ride them, but they are not good forks. The Black line is passable, but not great.

Why are those your only two choices for a new shock?

K.

nikos73gr said:
Ok what do you suggest?

For that bike and the type of riding I expect one would be doing with it *I* would suggest a Marzocchi Marathon or Fox Float. They are both reliable, sturdy, precise and just plain good all around forks for XC riding. That's my opinion. I'm sure you know what they say about opinions though so...

Take care and have fun shopping!

K.

thank you men!
ireman_1 said:
For that bike and the type of riding I expect one would be doing with it *I* would suggest a Marzocchi Marathon or Fox Float. They are both reliable, sturdy, precise and just plain good all around forks for XC riding. That's my opinion. I'm sure you know what they say about opinions though so...

Take care and have fun shopping!

K.

ibike73 said:
I would go with the Manitou. The Rock Shox bushings go bad in under a year.

I was able to open both models up last week and the bushing system is almost identical between the Manitou and the RS. The only difference being the RS actually has larger bushings than the Manitou. I'm guessing premature wear is due to lack of maintenance or improper lubrication.