Which fork?

Solanog

Feb 12, 2004
I'm looking for a new fork for my Marin Bobcat trail, it came with an Insync 323 and after about 4 months, it is dead, very soft and last weekend one of the caps on top of it blew as did one of the seals.
I weight around 200lbs and travel generally on gravel roads, for the street I have my race bike. I've looked at a RST Aerosa air suspension and have been told about how good air suspensions feel, other choices are Marzochi and Rock Shox pilot, also air suspensions.
Marzocchi and Rock Shox are more than twice the price of the RST, are they worth it? Or SHOULD I FORGET ABOUT AIR AND BUY A REGULAR fork like a Rock Shox for the same price of the RST Airosa?

All information will be appreciated. Thanks!

RST is not too terribly good. Given that you weigh 200 lbs, I'd recommend the Marzocchi. The Marz forks are more stiff and rugged than an RST or Rock Shox. The MX models can usually be had a fairly low price and come in coil or air versions.

Is air better than coil suspensions? What are advantages or disadvantages? Is a special inflator needed for suspensions or a tire inflator can be used?

Originally posted by Solanog
Is air better than coil suspensions? What are advantages or disadvantages? Is a special inflator needed for suspensions or a tire inflator can be used?

Air is lighter and much easier to set up for a specific rider weight. You need a specialized shock pump for them. Some forks include them some don't. They are like 20 to 30 dollars aftermarket if you don't have one. Coil is generally smoother and better for hasher conditions but its heavier and requires the proper spring depending on rider weight. If your weight doesn't fit the stock springs weight range you might find yourself having to buy the proper spring. It can be a pain finding the proper spring stiffness sometimes. With air you just pump more or less in until you find the spot you like best.

Why can't they be "inflated" with a regular pump? Too much air or too little air?

Why can't they be "inflated" with a regular pump? Too much air or too little air?

The air volume on shocks is too small for a large pump in an accurate amount of air in and will let a lot of the air out when disengaged. Its like like performing surgery with a machete. The gauge needs to be far more precise and some shocks can take up to 300 psi, much more than a floor pump can handle.

I don't mean to steal the thread but, How often do you guys with air forks have to reinflate or adjust the air pressure in the fork? I like to just hop on my bike at any time with having to "prep" it . Thanks------------Dave

I've been told, still haven't got an air fork, that rarely needs to be inflated. That it doesn't even worth to buy the fork inflator, that is easier to take the bike to the shop every now and then and check the air pressure.
How true is this?

What are good on line stores for buying bicycle stuff? I'll like to check fork prices to compare with what I can get here and make a decision of buying online or locally.

What are good on line stores for buying bicycle stuff? I'll like to check fork prices to compare with what I can get here and make a decision of buying online or locally.

nashbar.com
cambriabike.com

when I buy online, I find they have the best prices.

I've been told, still haven't got an air fork, that rarely needs to be inflated. That it doesn't even worth to buy the fork inflator, that is easier to take the bike to the shop every now and then and check the air pressure.
How true is this?

Save yourself the trouble and buy a pump. They are cheap enough. Depending on the model some forks can go unchecked for months at a time, others will loose a bit in a few days. Its always a good idea to have the pump around anyway to check it every so often. Nothing will suck more than going out to ride to find your fork has lost air pressure and you have to find an open bike shop to fill it out. Besides, you might need to tinker with the pressure at first until you find the most desirable setting.

Thanks, can you help me out with some online stores where I can browse forks and pumps?

What would be your recommendation between:

Rock shox Pilot with Rebound adjustment (SL??) Or Marzocchi MX Comp for a similar price?

JensonUsa is offering a free headset and free shipping for the purchase of a Marzocchi MX Comp 2004$269 seems like a good deal, the same for a MX Comp W/ETA for $299.

Advice??

JensonUsa is offering a free headset and free shipping for the purchase of a Marzocchi MX Comp 2004$269 seems like a good deal, the same for a MX Comp W/ETA for $299.

Advice??

Sounds like a great deal! The free shipping is only within the 48 contigous states though. What the ETA does is it lowers the fork down to 50% of its travel and only allows the suspension to move about 1". Its basically a lockout. This is useful for climbing steep grades but you don't necessarily need it.

Eventhough I live in Costa Rica, I have a shipping address in Miami, so it will work I suppose. Also I saw on Beyondbikes.com the Marzocchi Mx Comp w/eta for $269, if I don't need the headset this may be better!

Eventhough I live in Costa Rica, I have a shipping address in Miami, so it will work I suppose. Also I saw on Beyondbikes.com the Marzocchi Mx Comp w/eta for $269, if I don't need the headset this may be better!

Jenson will do price matching if the product is exactly the same model and year. Just tell them where you saw the cheaper price.