Which fork?

I say go with the marzocchi, I weight about 210 and that although I do not ride one the marzocchis that I have ridden in the past were pretty good considering my weight.

I just saw at jensonusa.com a Rock Shox Pilot SL (rebound control) for $135, it says is a OE, something like taken from a new bike and put to sale. I have already ordered a Marzocchi MX Comp w/ETA for $269 from beyondbikes.com, should I cancel my order and buy the Rock Shox for half the price?

Originally posted by Solanog
I just saw at jensonusa.com a Rock Shox Pilot SL (rebound control) for $135, it says is a OE, something like taken from a new bike and put to sale. I have already ordered a Marzocchi MX Comp w/ETA for $269 from beyondbikes.com, should I cancel my order and buy the Rock Shox for half the price?

If you need to save the money its up to you. All I can tell you is the Pilot series is a very lousy fork. Its that cheap precisely because its so low end. I would stick with the Marz. Besides, its probably shipped by now.

That's what I thought, I've read almost only positive things about Marzocchi and not too many good things about Rock Shox and Pilots specifically sheared steerers and drop outs also.
Thanks for the advice.
I checked and it has not been shipped yet!

all this sounds very similar, an Insync323 came on my trek and i'd like to replace it and have been lookin at my options too. I've been lookin at marz, manitou, and rock shox, and have heard nothing positive about the lower to mid level rock shox forks as of yet. i think i've also narrowed it down to Marzzochi or Manitou, any reccomendations for around 300 for those 2 brands?

I opted for the Marzocchi and hoping for it to arrive well maybe next week, it will arrive to my shipping address in miami this thursday.
Marzocchi because it was recommended here by almost all members eventhough here in Costa Rica seems like Rock Shox has a better dealer. Didn't have the Manitou option because there is no official dealer here so availability of spare parts is not warranted.
I'll post when I install it and ride it!

The Marzocchi arrived! Tomorrow I'll mount it and go for a short ride. I'll let you know how it works. If you have any advice regarding instalation it will be appreciated.

Originally posted by Solanog
If you have any advice regarding instalation it will be appreciated.

Measure twice, cut once.
Sounds stupid but you'd be surprised...

Originally posted by Hecubus
Measure twice, cut once.
Sounds stupid but you'd be surprised...

Doesn't sound that stupid, specially because once I bought a road bike and it came with a too short steerer! I've installed forks on road bikes and had good results. Now it would be easier I hope cause I have the old fork as model.
After cutting is done everything else is quite simple, just keep things clean and lubed. I bought a carbon fiber spacer (cheaper aluminum ones were not availble)because I plan on raising the handlebar a little.

I'll post a report maybe on monday;)

Thanks for the advice.

Well I installed the suspension on Saturday, I bought some spacers and raise the handlebar a little, taking advantage of the long steerer on the new fork I wanted to do this for a more comfortable ride.
One issue that arised is that my bike's size was just fine, on the large side I feel more confortable, now it grew about 1", this suspension has more travel than the one I had before:( , still works but now the fit is more like on a road bike rather than a mountain bike. But still works, hope I don't have an accident.
Now to the point, I've only taken it out twice, less than two hours each on a dirt and asphalt road with potholes, has some steep climbs (at least thats what they seem to me when I'm climbing them) one of those is about 400 m (1/4mile) and I've reached 97kph (just above 60mph, going down of course!) this part of the ride is in good condition (asphalt road).
When going up I put the ETA to work, very nice feature, it won't let the suspension return to the upper limit so it becomes very still and with only about 25mm (1") of travel, you can step on the pedals and there's very little movement up and down.
When ETA is off, potholes are easily swalowed, when it comes to the dirt and rocks part it feels a little stiff but it could be me going a little faster than with the old configuration. I weight 90kg (198.5lbs) I was riding on 50psi on the fork. Tires where 60psi, maybe too much?
Of course I can't speak about durability but construction seems of hight quality and strength.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Marzocchi's usually tend to run a but taller than other forks in the same travel range. This fork is probably 100mm right? I'm supposing the one you had before was most likely 80mm. You can try moving the spacers on top of the stem to lower the bars without cutting the steerer until you find just the right fit. Oh, and definately drop your tire pressure! 60 psi is fine for smooth roads but off-road it will cause the tire to bounce too hard and skip. Try aroun 40-45psi and see how that goes.

The fork is 105mm, good I didn't order the 120mm, I would be hanging from the top tube:D You're right I thing the Insync travel was 80mm or close to that.
I will definitevely drop the tire pressure, last ride was on smooth road so it was good. Thanks for the advice I will fix that.