Which Fox Fork?

Alfred

Guest
I'm thinking of replacing my old Judy SL with a Fox... only problem is I can't decide between the
Float Air or Vanilla Coil. I'm just going to be using it for crosscountry riding primarily. Are
there major performance differences between the two types?

In case it matters, I'm going to be putting it on an old Rocky Mountain Vertex, team bike.

thanks.

whats wrong with the SL?

--
k.kennyken at rogers dot com

"Alfred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of replacing my old Judy SL with a Fox... only problem is I can't decide between the
> Float Air or Vanilla Coil. I'm just going to be using it for crosscountry riding primarily. Are
> there major performance differences between the two types?
>
> In case it matters, I'm going to be putting it on an old Rocky Mountain Vertex, team bike.
>
> thanks.

Time to update my bike I guess. I want more travel and something that's a bit firmer than the old
SL. Do you know anything about the Fox forks or were you interested buying my SL? "Kenny Ken"
news:x%[email protected]...

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:53:35 +0000, Alfred wrote:

> I'm thinking of replacing my old Judy SL with a Fox... only problem is I can't decide between the
> Float Air or Vanilla Coil. I'm just going to be using it for crosscountry riding primarily. Are
> there major performance differences between the two types?

Here is my opinion - I've ridden both forks:

The vanilla 125 (which I bought) is noticeably heavier, has an inch more travel, has that taught
lively feel that springs give and handles very well when pushed hard through the the big stuff. I've
had a few interesting crashes on it and haven't done anything more than scratch the paint job, so in
my book I would say it's pretty tough. It's worth noting that this fork is quite a bit longer than a
Judy SL and will raise the front of your bike some. I bought it because some of the riding round
here resembles a lunar landscape and I was tired of buying new cartridges for my RS Judy.

The float is better suited to general xc riding - it's lighter and has a bit less travel but gives a
beautifully supple and <cliche> floaty </cliche> ride. Despite being xc orientated, I see a fair
number of people coming down our local DH course with these forks on the front of intense tracers
etc., so it must be reasonably strong. I think it comes in 80 and 100mm travel versions, the 80 is
intended for xc racing while the 100 is more of a general trail fork.

Either fork will be stiffer, stronger, more supple and have more travel than the RS Judy you have at
the moment. Of the two I would go with the float unless you think you really need the toughness of
the vanilla & are prepared to live with the weight and slacker head tube angle.

Just my opinion :)

Sam.

> In case it matters, I'm going to be putting it on an old Rocky Mountain Vertex, team bike.
>
> thanks.

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:x%[email protected]...
> whats wrong with the SL?
>
> --
> k.kennyken at rogers dot com
>
> "Alfred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > I'm thinking of replacing my old Judy SL with a Fox... only problem is I can't decide between
> > the Float Air or Vanilla Coil. I'm just going to
be
> > using it for crosscountry riding primarily. Are there major performance differences between the
> > two types?
> >
> > In case it matters, I'm going to be putting it on an old Rocky Mountain Vertex, team bike.
> >
> > thanks.

Go for the Float for XC and Trail riding, it's lighter and easier to adjust to your weight. ( Air
Pressure ) And it CAN be adjusted between 80-100mm of travel internally. The Vanilla between
80-125mm also internally.

You can also buy the new Float TALAS model for externally travel adjustment between 80-125mm.

There are 3 different model R, RL and RLC. R=Rebound adjustment. RL= Rebound & Lock-out. RLC= as
above as well as Low speed compresion and more interresting the Blow off threshold for when you got
it lock-out it will activate if you hit a bump.

Thanks for the info... I'll be picking up a Fox Talas RL this week!

"2trax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:53:35 +0000, Alfred wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of replacing my old Judy SL with a Fox... only problem is I can't decide between
> > the Float Air or Vanilla Coil. I'm just going to be using it for crosscountry riding primarily.
> > Are there major performance differences between the two types?
>
> Here is my opinion - I've ridden both forks:
>
> The vanilla 125 (which I bought) is noticeably heavier, has an inch more travel, has that taught
> lively feel that springs give and handles very well when pushed hard through the the big stuff.
> I've had a few interesting crashes on it and haven't done anything more than scratch the paint
> job, so in my book I would say it's pretty tough. It's worth noting that this fork is quite a
> bit longer than a Judy SL and will raise the front of your bike some. I bought it because some
> of the riding round here resembles a lunar landscape and I was tired of buying new cartridges
> for my RS Judy.
>
> The float is better suited to general xc riding - it's lighter and has a bit less travel but gives
> a beautifully supple and <cliche> floaty </cliche> ride. Despite being xc orientated, I see a fair
> number of people coming down our local DH course with these forks on the front of intense tracers
> etc., so it must be reasonably strong. I think it comes in 80 and 100mm travel versions, the 80 is
> intended for xc racing while the 100 is more of a general trail fork.
>
> Either fork will be stiffer, stronger, more supple and have more travel than the RS Judy you have
> at the moment. Of the two I would go with the float unless you think you really need the toughness
> of the vanilla & are prepared to live with the weight and slacker head tube angle.
>
> Just my opinion :)
>
> Sam.
>
> > In case it matters, I'm going to be putting it on an old Rocky Mountain Vertex, team bike.
> >
> > thanks.

A word of warning ... I replaced my old fork on my 98 Santa Cruz Heckler ( mostly xtr, some xt, lx
front dr) last year with a spanking new one. A month later I replaced the drive train, 2 weeks later
the rear triangle & dereailler , a month after the headset, 2 weeks later the rear wheel. All of
these components failed - none was an optional upgrade. Could have bought 3 new bikes with money I
spent. Look at how much money you're spending on the new fork , how much you'd get for your bike and
what you'd spend on a new one is my 2c worth.