Which Frame?

Paul Westall

Guest
Thanks for the useful replies to my previous posts. I'm currently researching/shopping for a road
bike-tired of switching tires on my MTB (good excuse for a new bike anyway). I would appreciate any
comments on the bikes I am considering, as well as any ohters I may ot know about. Price range is
less than $2000 for whole bike. Colnago classic or Assos DeRosa Neo Primato or Team Habernero road
frame Basso Gap (least likely) or Bianchi veloce Originally I was only consideing steel, but after
reading Sheldon Brown's page on frame myths, I am also considering aluminum. Unfortunately I don't
live near a major city, so test riding each bike is pretty much impossible. TIA Paul

Complete Landshark with Ultegra components for less than $2000 from www.gvhbikes.com

"Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the useful replies to my previous posts. I'm currently researching/shopping for a road
> bike-tired of switching tires on my MTB (good excuse for a new bike anyway). I would appreciate
> any comments on the bikes I am considering, as well as any ohters I may ot know about. Price range
> is less than $2000 for whole bike. Colnago classic or Assos DeRosa Neo Primato or Team Habernero
> road frame Basso Gap (least likely) or Bianchi veloce Originally I was only consideing steel, but
> after reading Sheldon Brown's page on frame myths, I am also considering aluminum. Unfortunately I
don't
> live near a major city, so test riding each bike is pretty much
impossible.
> TIA Paul

It depends on what you're going to be using the bike for, the type of terrain and roads you will be
riding, etc. For example, if you're planning on doing 120 mile rides in a hilly rural area with some
dirt or gravel roads, then a racing bike with 20 mm tires, a 11-21 cassette and 53/39 chainwheels,
and a saddle 6 inches higher than the bars may not be the best choice. If you're going to train for
and race criteriums, OTOH, such a bike may suit you well.

Assuming you're not in the 1% of American bike riders who race, your options are sadly somewhat
limited. Most road bikes are aimed at people who race or want to look like they do. Fortunately the
times are changing, with bike manufacturers realizing that the road bike market is broader (in more
ways than one) than racers.

You may wish to consider looking at Rivendell's Romulus bike and Rambouillet frame (which you can
get built up); the Romulus would set you back well under $2000 and the Rambouillet could be built up
for about that. Heron Bicycles are wonderful bikes, available built up and very very good value for
money (my wife has one of these and loves
it). Gunnar makes some great frames and I think you can get them built up. Last but not least, you
can get Ti for steel prices from Habanero. BTW, the owners of Heron and Habanero are both
frequent contributors to the rec.bikes newsgroups and are always worth reading.

www.rivendellbicycles.com www.heronbicycles.com www.gunnarbikes.com www.habcycles.com

I just built up a steel 1990 Paramount, updated components with a full Waterford restore, changed
spacing for 9spd, and relocated the rear brake cable guids to 7 oclock. I love the ride, and it was
a fraction of a new one. I happened on the frameset for $100 though. :) If I were to do it again,
I'd probably build up a Rambouillet from Rivendell, or just do a Rivendell. I may be selling a Caad
3 Cannondale soon, San Diego area. :)

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 "Your fault: core dumped" -- MegaHAL