Which freewheel puller for an early 70s Schwinn Super Sport?

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
I have a rear from an early 70s Schwinn Super Sport with 3 freewheel side broken spokes. The 5 cog 14-32 freewheel says "Schwinn Approved".

Is the FR-4 the appropriate freewheel tool or is it the Shimano Boss or something else?

"meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have a rear from an early 70s Schwinn Super Sport with 3 freewheel
> side broken spokes. The 5 cog 14-32 freewheel says "Schwinn Approved".
>

> Is the FR-4 the appropriate freewheel tool or is it the Shimano Boss or
> something else?
>

> --
> meb

Hi meb,
If memory serves, that freewheel has 20 evenly spaced splines; the same as
the FR-4. The Shimano Boss has 12 splines.
As always, Sheldon Brown's site has great information:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html
Kerry

meb wrote:
> I have a rear from an early 70s Schwinn Super Sport with 3 freewheel
> side broken spokes. The 5 cog 14-32 freewheel says "Schwinn Approved".
> Is the FR-4 the appropriate freewheel tool or is it the Shimano Boss or
> something else?

'Early seventies' and 'Schwinn Approved' could be the early Shimano
small spline (remove axle before using tool) or an Atom small spline
(Phil Wood type shell tools can remove it with axle in place, original
tool required axle removal) or a Normandy large spline ( easy to work
with but the tool is rare now).

Some 'remove axle' designs may be removed by undoing only the right side
axle spacer, but that's a coin toss depending on how the axle was last
assembled.

Seek the advice of a competent LBS who can look at it (in the bike) and
tell you what it is you have.

Park's #FR4 tool is a copy of the Phil Wood design for early Atom spline
freewheels. Maybe, maybe not. If you have one, see if it fits. The
various patterns are different enough as to not be confusing.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

On 2008-05-18, meb <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a rear from an early 70s Schwinn Super Sport with 3 freewheel
> side broken spokes. The 5 cog 14-32 freewheel says "Schwinn Approved".
>

> Is the FR-4 the appropriate freewheel tool or is it the Shimano Boss or
> something else?

An early 70s Schwinn would probably have an Atom freewheel. Can you post
a picture of it?

--

John ([email protected])