Which freewheel remover tool?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Kingson, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    I have a 1980 Shogun road bike with a Shimano "DH" hub and freewheel. I plan to replace the
    freewheel with a new Megarange unit. In looking at printed and online catalogs, I haven't seen a
    freewheel remover tool that looks like it would engage the 9 splines. See the picture for details:

    http://home.maine.rr.com/bkingson/bikes/freewheel.htm

    I haven't done this before, so if I'm looking at it wrong, please advise. Can anyone tell me the
    tool I need?

    Thanks in advance...

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Bill Kingson
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have a 1980 Shogun road bike with a Shimano "DH" hub and freewheel. I plan to replace the
    >freewheel with a new Megarange unit. In looking at printed and online catalogs, I haven't seen a
    >freewheel remover tool that looks like it would engage the 9 splines. See the picture for details:
    >
    >http://home.maine.rr.com/bkingson/bikes/freewheel.htm
    >
    >I haven't done this before, so if I'm looking at it wrong, please advise. Can anyone tell me the
    >tool I need?

    From the picture, looks like it's not a freewheel - looks like a (6-speed?) Uniglide cassette with
    threaded small cog. You use 2 chain whips to remove it. You cannot install a freewheel on a
    cassette hub.

    I notice that Nashbar has 13x28 6-speed cassettes available. I assume they are Uniglide spline since
    Hyperglide post-dates 6-speed but you could call to make sure.

    --Paul

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 1980 Shogun road bike with a Shimano "DH" hub and freewheel. I plan to replace the
    > freewheel with a new Megarange unit. In looking at printed and online catalogs, I haven't seen a
    > freewheel remover tool that looks like it would engage the 9 splines. See the picture for details:
    >
    > http://home.maine.rr.com/bkingson/bikes/freewheel.htm
    >
    > I haven't done this before, so if I'm looking at it wrong, please advise. Can anyone tell me the
    > tool I need?

    "Freewheel tool"?? You do not have a freewheel.. You have the early model Shimano cassette. You'll
    need a new wheel as that series cassette body is stamped to the hubshell. The last cog (13t) screws
    onto the body, pressing the other splined cogs snugly against the body.

    There are still n.o.s. seven speed UG cassettes available (here) but they are all 13~28, not Mega.

    If you're eyeing a Mega freewheel, I'll go along with Chalo's frequent advice to build a threaded
    hub into a wheel with minimal difference in spoke tension from right to left ( you may need to align
    the frame slightly wider to do that right).

  4. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote: From the picture, looks like it's not a freewheel - looks like a (6-speed?)
    Uniglide cassette with threaded small cog. You use 2 chain whips to remove it. You cannot install a
    freewheel on a cassette hub.

    I notice that Nashbar has 13x28 6-speed cassettes available. I assume they are Uniglide spline since
    Hyperglide post-dates 6-speed but you could call to make sure.
    ----------
    Andrew Muzi wrote: "Freewheel tool"?? You do not have a freewheel.. You have the early model Shimano
    cassette. You'll need a new wheel as that series cassette body is stamped to the hubshell. The last
    cog (13t) screws onto the body, pressing the other splined cogs snugly against the body.
    ----------
    Thanks for the well-informed replies, helpful information, and patience. When my LBS installed this
    cassette a few years ago, they told me it was an "old style" cluster. I thought they meant it was a
    freewheel. It's a 13x30, so it's as good as it'll get using this wheel. I'll have to consider new
    cranks (dreailers and chain) to create the hill climbing ratios I'm after.

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

  5. In article <c94d3bb1.0304250211.613f37c0[email protected]>, Bill Kingson
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Paul Southworth wrote: From the picture, looks like it's not a freewheel - looks like a (6-speed?)
    >Uniglide cassette with threaded small cog. You use 2 chain whips to remove it. You cannot install a
    >freewheel on a cassette hub.
    >
    >I notice that Nashbar has 13x28 6-speed cassettes available. I assume they are Uniglide spline
    >since Hyperglide post-dates 6-speed but you could call to make sure.
    >----------
    >Andrew Muzi wrote: "Freewheel tool"?? You do not have a freewheel.. You have the early model
    >Shimano cassette. You'll need a new wheel as that series cassette body is stamped to the hubshell.
    >The last cog (13t) screws onto the body, pressing the other splined cogs snugly against the body.
    >Thanks for the well-informed replies, helpful information, and patience. When my LBS installed this
    >cassette a few years ago, they told me it was an "old style" cluster. I thought they meant it was a
    >freewheel. It's a 13x30, so it's as good as it'll get using this wheel. I'll have to consider new
    >cranks (dreailers and chain) to create the hill climbing ratios I'm after.

    You can build your own cogset with the gearing you want - just save the spacers and the threaded
    small cog. Some Uniglide cogs are still out there and Hyperglide cogs can be made to fit your
    Uniglide freehub body with a little grinding - there is one wider spline on the cog which needs to
    be narrowed to work for you.

    --Paul