which groupset to go for

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danmac, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Danmac

    Danmac New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2004
    I am currently looking to purchase an entry level priced road bike, and have a few in mind, the thing that is hindering me making a decicion at the moment is which groupset to choose.

    basically 2 of the prospective bikes come fully equipped with Campy Xenon the other comes fully equipped with Shimano Tiagra.

    i tend to be leaning towards the campy at the moment but this might be something to do with the other specs of the bike.

    the main piece of advice i'd like to know is is there a significant enough difference in the performance of the groupsets that should be effecting my choice.

    any advice would be greatly appreceated

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Danmac
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I am currently looking to purchase an entry level priced road bike,
    > and have a few in mind, the thing that is hindering me making a
    > decicion at the moment is which groupset to choose.
    >
    > basically 2 of the prospective bikes come fully equipped with Campy
    > Xenon the other comes fully equipped with Shimano Tiagra.
    >
    > i tend to be leaning towards the campy at the moment but this might be
    > something to do with the other specs of the bike.
    >
    > the main piece of advice i'd like to know is is there a significant
    > enough difference in the performance of the groupsets that should be
    > effecting my choice.

    I haven't used low end Campag stuff, so probably out not to comment, but
    my middle-high end Campag stuff (Centaur) is a lot more precise and
    positive than my middle-high end Shimano (XT, XTR). I mean, partly I
    like Campag because that's what I wanted when I was a kid, and it's
    also true that almost all my Campag stuff is road and all my Shimano
    stuff is MTB, and it may be the case that road stuff is more precise
    anyway because the inter-cog jumps are smaller. But I do ride both and
    can say that in my experience the Campag stuff is better.

    Mind you, of course, as I say, this does not necessarily say anything
    about the Xenon groupset.

  3. Danmac wrote:

    > any advice would be greatly appreceated

    Don't ask. Brace yourself for the Campag fans to tell you why Campag is so
    much better thread. I have little experience of Campag. A seatpin which
    performs as well as my Shimano one and a set of pedals which were nowhere
    near as good as Look branded ones. If you want Campag, go for it. It'll do
    the job just fine.

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Danmac wrote:
    > I am currently looking to purchase an entry level priced road bike,
    > and have a few in mind, the thing that is hindering me making a
    > decicion at the moment is which groupset to choose.
    >
    > basically 2 of the prospective bikes come fully equipped with Campy
    > Xenon the other comes fully equipped with Shimano Tiagra.
    >
    > i tend to be leaning towards the campy at the moment but this might be
    > something to do with the other specs of the bike.

    The differences between the other components may well be more important,
    not to mention the frames and how well they fit you. If it comes to
    deciding between Campag and Shimano, I suggest getting your hands on the
    brake/gear levers, literally, and deciding which you prefer, preferably
    test riding the bikes.

    Ergonomics is important and these are the only part of the groupset you
    touch whilst riding, and the two brands do feel and act differently. The
    rest of the groupset will get on and do its job in either case.

    Xenon & Tiagra are both decent quality, depspite Xenon being at the bottom
    of Campag's range. Campag don't make rubbish full stop.

    ~PB

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Campag don't make rubbish full stop.

    Their commas aren't very good though..

    cheers,
    clive

  6. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Xenon & Tiagra are both decent quality, depspite Xenon being at the
    > bottom of Campag's range. Campag don't make rubbish full stop.
    >
    > ~PB

    Their brakes are poor then ?

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Martin Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >

    > > Xenon & Tiagra are both decent quality, depspite Xenon being at the
    > > bottom of Campag's range. Campag don't make rubbish full stop.
    > >
    > > ~PB

    > Their brakes are poor then ?

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Martin Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >

    > > Xenon & Tiagra are both decent quality, depspite Xenon being at the
    > > bottom of Campag's range. Campag don't make rubbish full stop.

    I rode a bike with Campag (Veloce) for the first time last month having used
    Shimano exclusively prior to that; I absolutely hated the thumb buttons, but
    found the changing using the levers actually better than Shimano. Tiagra is
    mostly plastic now anyway, I would say go with whatever you most like on the
    rest of the bike, there is not much between them if you are not used to one
    or the other.

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    >it may be the case that road stuff is more precise
    > anyway because the inter-cog jumps are smaller.

    Probably accounts for it.
    I have XT for off-road and Ultegra for road, the Ultegra feels way smoother
    but I put it down to closer ratios, smaller jumps between cogs, less chain
    flailing around etc.
    Plus of course the mtb kit doesn't stay clean for long, even if only summer
    trail dust (we should be so lucky).

    Pete

  10. "Danmac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]

    > I am currently looking to purchase an entry level priced road bike, and
    > have a few in mind, the thing that is hindering me making a decicion at
    > the moment is which groupset to choose.

    My advice (for what it's worth) is don't worry about it.

    I wouldn't choose the bike on the basis of the groupset. Components can
    always be changed later (obviously at some cost). I would pick the bike
    with the best frame.

    Ride all three and choose the one that feels best.

    Ian