Which harder on rims: FS or hardtail?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by x, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    Or is it a wash? i.e. no significant diff...

    On one hand it seems like the hits aren't buffered with a hardtail, but on the other hand it seems
    like an FS rider is taking more/harder hits and may not be using their legs to mitigate them...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Or is it a wash? i.e. no significant diff...
    >
    > On one hand it seems like the hits aren't buffered with a hardtail, but on
    the
    > other hand it seems like an FS rider is taking more/harder hits and may
    not be
    > using their legs to mitigate them...
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    I vote for FS. HT riders are used to avoiding rocks, etc. while the FS guys just ride over them.

    Mike

  3. In article <[email protected]>, "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Or is it a wash? i.e. no significant diff...
    > >
    > > On one hand it seems like the hits aren't buffered with a hardtail, but on
    > the
    > > other hand it seems like an FS rider is taking more/harder hits and may
    > not be
    > > using their legs to mitigate them...
    > > -----------------------
    > > PeteCresswell
    >
    > I vote for FS. HT riders are used to avoiding rocks, etc. while the FS guys just ride over them.
    >
    > Mike

    You've answered your own question. For an equal impact, the suspension bike will be nicer to the
    rim. The problem is that suspension riders generally pick suspension bikes because they want to do
    harder hits. So the more suspension you have, the more likely you want big manly rims with lots of
    spokes and maybe even 24" dia. so that it's stronger.

    But it's not the bike that's harder on the rim, it's the terrain. And while I don't feel like
    figuring out the calculation, impact forces are going to increase at something like the square of
    the height of the drop for simple hucks to flat, so even a small increase in the drop (say, 2' to
    4') significantly increases the impact force.

    Wrecked two rims this year doing XC rides on my hardtail,

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Or is it a wash? i.e. no significant diff...
    >>
    >>On one hand it seems like the hits aren't buffered with a hardtail, but on
    >
    > the
    >
    >>other hand it seems like an FS rider is taking more/harder hits and may
    >
    > not be
    >
    >>using their legs to mitigate them...
    >>PeteCresswell
    >

    > I vote for FS. HT riders are used to avoiding rocks, etc. while the FS guys just ride over them.
    >
    > Mike

    Gee, I never avoided rocks with my hardtail! I just don't need to stand as much now :).

    I've found that my rims seem to last about the same as they did on the HT (I'm on an FS now). But,
    they were a lot more scarred on the HT? I don't understand that one...

    David