Which hubs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by peter nap, Jun 26, 2006.

1. peter nap

peter nap New Member

I am not new to mountain biking, I'm just new to buying good parts. I've built my own wheels for 20 years but scrounge parts from old bikes.

I've decided to rebuild my Mountain bike with decent parts starting with the hubs. I have no idea which ones to buy though. I don't ride hard but do ride off road a lot or at least for me, a lot. I have some areas in the mountains where I ride 40 miles in a day.

I want reliable above everything else. I'd like sealed bearings but can do quite well with ball bearings depending on the price.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Tags:

2. davebee

davebee New Member

Being in the UK, I use Hope hubs as though not cheap they are reasonably priced compared to equivalent components. I believe they are noticeably more expensive in the USA though. The top end (XT up) Shimano hubs are good but as they are not sealed I will not use them in UK mud.

3. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

I am building a new wheelset myself and I just received a set of the Hope Pro II Disc hubs and they are a "masterpiece in machining". I haven't built them up yet, but I have a buddy who built up some rims with the Hope XC disc hubs and he loves them. I went with the Pro II's because they are lighter than the XC and have sealed bearings. The XC's have replaceable bearings.

The nice thing is that these look as good as the Chris Kings (they come in cool anodized colors), are just as light, get great reviews, and are MUCH cheaper then the Kings. You can get rims as well and still not have spent as much as the Kings. I would love the Kings, but I am not made of money.
    Once I get these built up, I will post a comment on how much I like them. HT

4. davebee

davebee New Member

XC pros use sealed cartridge bearings not loose ball bearings. you just knock the bearing case out with a mallet. I use Hopes and love them. but they are not a particularly cheap option next to shimano. dont really get king hubs in the uk.

5. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

Sorry, my mistake. Thanks for the tech advice. I just assumed that the Pro II's weren't replaceable since I have only seen the replaceable cartridges for the XC's but not the Pro II's. Do they also make the cartridges replaceable for my Pro II's?