Which hybrid? CB Urban 300/Saracen Hy-flyer/Marin Kentfield

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Phillips, May 31, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    After a 20-year absence from cycling, I have a job where I can cycle to work again - only about 2
    miles each way, either on the road or, more likely, along a disused railway and
    footpaths/bridleways. I brought my old Falcon Black Diamond tourer out of retirement, but a few
    trips convinced me that I needed something with better brakes, more solid wheels and maybe some
    suspension.

    I've decided on a hybrid of some sort, and after visits to a few cycle shops the choice is between a
    Marin Kentfield (the bottom of their City range) at £250, a Claude Butler Urban 300 (£300) or a
    Saracen Hy-Flyer (£400), which is about the most I want to pay. I'm tempted to get the Saracen,
    because it seems to have the most up-market components. However, searching Usenet I found a couple
    of posts warning against Saracen bikes, although no reasons were given. The Urban 300, however,
    seems to be well thought of, and I like the idea of buying from Falcon again as I was very happy
    with the Black Diamond at the time.

    I'd appreciate any comments about these three bikes and my requirements. I'm about 5'11", 80kg and I
    have a bad back. I mainly need the bike for commuting but when my youngest son is old enough we will
    go for longer rides, although probably not much off-road.

    Thanks,

    Andy

    --
    Andy Phillips

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Andy Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > After a 20-year absence from cycling, I have a job where I can cycle to work again - only about 2
    > miles each way, either on the road or, more likely, along a disused railway and
    > footpaths/bridleways. I brought my old Falcon Black Diamond tourer out of retirement, but a few
    > trips convinced me that I needed something with better brakes, more solid wheels and maybe some
    > suspension.
    >
    > I've decided on a hybrid of some sort, and after visits to a few cycle shops the choice is between
    > a Marin Kentfield (the bottom of their City range) at £250, a Claude Butler Urban 300 (£300) or a
    > Saracen Hy-Flyer (£400), which is about the most I want to pay. I'm tempted to get the Saracen,
    > because it seems to have the most up-market components. However, searching Usenet I found a couple
    > of posts warning against Saracen bikes, although no reasons were given. The Urban 300, however,
    > seems to be well thought of, and I like the idea of buying from Falcon again as I was very happy
    > with the Black Diamond at the time.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any comments about these three bikes and my requirements. I'm about 5'11", 80kg and
    > I have a bad back. I mainly need the bike for commuting but when my youngest son is old enough we
    > will go for longer rides, although probably not much off-road.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andy

    I ride a CB Urban 300. a fine bike I would recomend it, I have had it since last august and have
    done about 2,600 miles on it so far, and have had few problems.