Which hybrid? CB Urban 300/Saracen Hy-flyer/Marin Kentfield

Andy Phillips

Guest
Hi,

After a 20-year absence from cycling, I have a job where I can cycle to work again - only about 2
miles each way, either on the road or, more likely, along a disused railway and
footpaths/bridleways. I brought my old Falcon Black Diamond tourer out of retirement, but a few
trips convinced me that I needed something with better brakes, more solid wheels and maybe some
suspension.

I've decided on a hybrid of some sort, and after visits to a few cycle shops the choice is between a
Marin Kentfield (the bottom of their City range) at £250, a Claude Butler Urban 300 (£300) or a
Saracen Hy-Flyer (£400), which is about the most I want to pay. I'm tempted to get the Saracen,
because it seems to have the most up-market components. However, searching Usenet I found a couple
of posts warning against Saracen bikes, although no reasons were given. The Urban 300, however,
seems to be well thought of, and I like the idea of buying from Falcon again as I was very happy
with the Black Diamond at the time.

I'd appreciate any comments about these three bikes and my requirements. I'm about 5'11", 80kg and I
have a bad back. I mainly need the bike for commuting but when my youngest son is old enough we will
go for longer rides, although probably not much off-road.

Thanks,

Andy

--
Andy Phillips

"Andy Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> After a 20-year absence from cycling, I have a job where I can cycle to work again - only about 2
> miles each way, either on the road or, more likely, along a disused railway and
> footpaths/bridleways. I brought my old Falcon Black Diamond tourer out of retirement, but a few
> trips convinced me that I needed something with better brakes, more solid wheels and maybe some
> suspension.
>
> I've decided on a hybrid of some sort, and after visits to a few cycle shops the choice is between
> a Marin Kentfield (the bottom of their City range) at £250, a Claude Butler Urban 300 (£300) or a
> Saracen Hy-Flyer (£400), which is about the most I want to pay. I'm tempted to get the Saracen,
> because it seems to have the most up-market components. However, searching Usenet I found a couple
> of posts warning against Saracen bikes, although no reasons were given. The Urban 300, however,
> seems to be well thought of, and I like the idea of buying from Falcon again as I was very happy
> with the Black Diamond at the time.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments about these three bikes and my requirements. I'm about 5'11", 80kg and
> I have a bad back. I mainly need the bike for commuting but when my youngest son is old enough we
> will go for longer rides, although probably not much off-road.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I ride a CB Urban 300. a fine bike I would recomend it, I have had it since last august and have
done about 2,600 miles on it so far, and have had few problems.