Which Hydration Pack for London to Paris???

AdamRich

May 9, 2011
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm a inexperienced rider who is riding from London to Paris in 2 weeks time, I've been told that taking a Hydration pack would be a good idea as we could be riding for up to 2 - 3 hours before a break, I'm taking to water bottles but think I'm going to go for the Hydration pack as well.

Can Anyone reccomend a pack that wuld hold around 1.5l - 2l and would also be able to fit a lightweight jacket in and other bits like a camera , and snacks e.t.c

Your advie would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Adam

Adam, Camelbak makes a variety of hydration packs. You can select different models that have the fluid and storage capacity you need.

I have one of the small ones, which just has a 50oz bladder and minimal storage, and it works very well.

You might want to check those out...

Hydration packs are OK, they are good to help ensure that you are constantly drinking. However, you will feel the extra weight on your back and butt after several hours in the saddle - do not get one that is overly large. I have used packs on long rides before, but I make sure that it was emptied long before I took any fluids from my bottles on the frame. I would also recommend against putting any fluid but water in the pack, they can be a bear to rinse out.

Yeah, personally I'm not sure why you'd need to haul the extra weight of a camelback. They really were designed for MTBers who have less opportunity to reach down for a bottle.

Europe is the most densely populated continent on earth and you're not exactly riding across the desert. I reckon you'd be hard pressed to ride 10km without coming across a place with water, and a couple of 750mL bottles should easily do you for a couple of hours non-stop.

Plenty of cyclists head out for regular 5 or 6 hour training rides and can make do perfectly well with bottles and a couple of pit stops.