Which is a better commuter bike?

dweezilb

Sep 29, 2003
I'm looking for a bicycle for a mild commute in the rainy Pacific Northwest. (5 miles and some hills). I will also use the bike for around town shopping. I would prefer a classic European style city bike, but I don't want a 40lb tank either. My price range is <$1000 (us).

Does anyone have any opinions on the following bikes (or other suggestions?)

Bianchi Milano
Van Dessel Straight UpX7
Kettler Jan
Breezer Citizen

Thanks!

Originally posted by dweezilb
I'm looking for a bicycle for a mild commute in the rainy Pacific Northwest. (5 miles and some hills). I will also use the bike for around town shopping. I would prefer a classic European style city bike, but I don't want a 40lb tank either. My price range is <$1000 (us).

Bianchi Milano
Van Dessel Straight UpX7
Kettler Jan
Breezer Citizen

Thanks!

Find a local shop that will work with you on fit.
Consider fenders and and rack(s) as part of the solution.
See what gearing range best covers the steepest grade and heaviest load you may carry.
Good brakes that are set up right makes a difference in safety and comfort.
I tried both Van Dessel and Breezer, in this class, and like them.
If REI Safari fits you, it could also be a consideration.
I point you to a unique and valuable approach to fit on Peter White Cycle's web site, URL:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

Originally posted by dweezilb

Bianchi Milano
Van Dessel Straight UpX7
Kettler Jan
Breezer Citizen

Thanks!
Power assist bicycles are becomming more popular. They are great up hills and against the wind other than that they are like riding a regular bike.
Keep your eyes open for 2004 models. Giant should a good design then.

Although I like the look and ride of cruiser bikes (my friend has a *new* classic Schwinn and my mom has a Univega zig zag) -- they tend toward the fair weather flat ground type of bikes.

I'd take a good look at a cheaper hybrid bike-- 300 bucks (give or take) will get you suspention/comfy ride, good low gearing (good for hills and carrying loads) wider tires and super good brakes. Another 300 will get you good raingear (you'll need it in Portland), a good hightlight/tail light, a good rack, fenders, ect..

I agree that the little detail stuff like racks and lights make a good urban bike. It's not like the racers-- it's a mode of transportantion.

I agree, a reasonable hybrid with baskets and fenders will rock and roll. My lights cost more than my bike.

The best bicycles of the type you mention are made by Gazelle in Holland. The easiest place to purchase one would be from www.cycleheaven.co.uk.

I would recommend either a Gazelle Touche or Davos. I have one of each. They are both really amazing bicycles. The material and build quality are comparable to my Record equipped Litespeed Tuscany.

Don't worry too much about weight. All utility/commuter bikes weigh around 40 lbs because once you add fenders, lights, racks, heavy duty wheels, chain cover etc. that's what the weight will come to. You could, of course, commute on a much lighter weight fitness bike, but living in Oregon, you'll ultimately be happier with a bike that keeps you clean, dry, can be ridden safely at night etc.

Gazelle is the way to go.

I have a van Dessel straight upx7 and love it. the bars take some getting used to, but provide an infinite number of angle adjustments for cruising around the neighborhood up high or a faster ride down low. The frame is light and solid, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Fenders, a light, and a rack would be all the add-ons needed for a solid commuter bike. Breezer is another brand of solid communter bike worth checking into. They come decked out with all the trimmings. Gotta say I do love my van dessel, and say it feels more like a road bike. The 700cc is a unique class of bike, while your other commuters will ride more like a standard hybrid.

dweezilb said:

Bianchi Milano
Van Dessel Straight UpX7
Kettler Jan
Breezer Citizen

Thanks!
I'm also in Portland. I don't yet commute but plan to some day. Check REI. They have one called the Novara Buzz (26in wheels & 9 speeds, $499 I think) and another called the Big Buzz (700 wheels and 18 speeds, $799 I think). Both, I think, have disk brakes. They both appear to be quite durable yet light and seem ideal for Portland commuting. With your 5 mile commute I'd think the Buzz would be good. Mine will be more like 10-15, so the Big Buzz would fit me better. Now, if I only had some cash!

dweezilb said:

Bianchi Milano
Van Dessel Straight UpX7
Kettler Jan
Breezer Citizen

Thanks!

Actually I'm looking into a commuting bike as well. Right now I've been looking at some Novara and K2, but I don't know much about them. My budget is actually even lower (<600). Any suggestions?

I too have started my search for the hard to find commuter bike and have narrowed my list down to three models.

The Breezer Uptown 8

The Novaro Fusion (REI)

The Specialized Globe

They are all in the $700 range and come with lighting systems (hub generator), fenders, chain guards, rack and upright handle bars.

The Breezer and Specialized both come with suspension fork ( I'm new to this so I don't know the terminology) while the Novara doesn't.

The Breezer and Specialized both also come with a plastic chain guard while the Novara doesn't.

The Novara seems to have a beefier front lighting system while the others appear to my rookie eyes as a little under powered.

The Breezer only comes in black, which is not a good choice for nighttime riding.

The Specialized Globe comes with a 24 speed derailleur while the others come with an 8 speed internal shifting hub. I don't have a preference, but don't expect to need a lot of gears.

The problem with all of them is that they are hard to find and will require a special order. All are what I'm looking for in a new bike but no one I've met lately has ever seen one :(

Rick

You might also want to consider a cyclocross bike if you can find one at the right price. The suggestion about the Buzz and the Big Buzz is a good one, too.

If you are in the Seattle area talk to the folks at Freerange cycles in Fremont. They are "commuter centric" shop.

I also have a 5 mi commute and live in a -very- hilly section of King Co. Because I'm a super lazy person I usually drive to work, go home for lunch coast down the hill all the way to work then take a longer ride after (light permitting).

As for bikes, I prefer a MTN/City bike for the dark rainy winter days and a Sport/Tour/Cross with triple and drop bars for spring-summer-fall.

Oh, always wear bright colors I've been hit twice in the past two years on bike paths which crossed intersections by folks sliding through right hand turns. Luckily the impact speeds were VERY slow.

-esc

been riding a cannondale hybrid for years and love it. there are several price rangesto choose from. i currently have a silk path 400 and use it year round on a 15 mile round trip city type commute. very comfortable and easy to ride.have even took it out on a few 50 milers without any problems.

I have a trek X500. Heavy as a tank. I would guess about 35 pounds before any baggage. It’s advantage is that there is nothing to buy except bags. It has cheap lights (LED), good racks, bell, fenders and mud flaps, disk breaks, good kick stand, built in pump, 37mm tires and a built in lock. The kitchen sink might be there too I have not looked. It also has ridiculously low gearing. Inner chain ring 22, largest rear gear 38, that is low! I love the built in lock. Just like locking your car.

I use it around town, for shopping etc, It does not need good roads. My longest rides are in the 60-70 mile range loaded with junk. I’m planning in riding from Orlando FL to Boston MA next month. Best part of it is that it makes my Seven feel like it is nothing but a rocket engine.

I am considering the Bianchi Milano also. Does anyone own this bike and if so how do you like it?

Thanks!

Dan

If you can afford to pay a $200 premium for pure style, the Milano is hard to beat. I put 1000 commute miles on a Milano in the past 4 months.

POSITIVES:
- Fast. Wearing office clothes and dress shoes, I have blown by countless road bikers in their Lycra finery.
- Comfortable and stable in any weather.
- 8 speeds are spaced well -- makes you realize 24 is usually overkill.
- Shift while standing still -- very useful if you hit many traffic lights.
- Many compliments on the style of the bike.

NEGATIVES:
- Had to add a front mudflap to stay dry in the rain.
- Aluminum frame too rigid. Front end jitters over bumps.
- Heavier than my steel-frame 1987 Trek 520 (fenders on both)!
- Constant teasing about minty fresh "celeste" color. If you're sensitive, buy the black one.
- The big 26" 65psi street tires are wonderful for 95% of riders, but if you ride a lot, you will probably wish for 27" 95psi 1.25" tires. You start to feel it after 20 or 30 miles.

These flaws are minor. This is the best bike I've ever owned -- most useful, best looking, and cheapest, all at the same time.

Having commuted in Portland for over 25 years, here's my advice: any lugged steel frame (and some good aluminum frames such as Cannondale) with a touring or sport touring geometry (stretched out) from the 80's of reasonable quality will be incredibly fast and easy to ride and to maintain. Make sure they have eyelets and brazeons for fenders, racks and bottle cages. Make sure you get alloy wheels which are lighter and safer in the rain. These bikes are bullet proof, and anyone with basic mechanical knowledge can do most of the maintenance. Consider: Centurion, Miyata, Peugeot (also with internally brazed steel frames), Trek, Motobecane, Bridgestone, Novara, Nishiki, Specialized,etc. You will spend virtually no money on these bikes and can add moustache bars, or any other accessories for that classic look and still put $500 into your savings account. While the older classic touring bikes are gorgeous (Raleighs, etc.), they weigh in at 40-50 lbs, have steel wheels and only 3 speeds. This is fine for flat roads with cobblestones, but not for the fast, hilly, wet commute you do in Portland. The newer bikes that you listed are really not of the same quality and will be more expensive to maintain than the bikes listed above, plus they are more expensive because you are buying a new bike. And, you'll lose tons on resale value. So, consider a used bike!!!

I've come to agree with njwilken. My 1987 Trek is superior in many ways to my 2006 Milano, yet would cost under $100 today. The main sacrifices are shifting (the Milano's Shimano Nexus 8 hub is nice) and greasy pant legs (the Milano has a single chainwheel and chainguard.

My most recent solution is a 1987 Moulton AM7: handmade Reynolds 531 cromoly steel frame, full suspension, light weight, fenders, full front fairing. Not exactly cheap because it's so rare (about 50 per year), but fast and smooth.

But njwilken is right: you probably cannot find better value than a $100 lugged steel 18-speed from the mid-1980s.

dweezilb said:

Bianchi Milano
Van Dessel Straight UpX7
Kettler Jan
Breezer Citizen

Thanks!
Some advice from a 51 year old geezer. Get Bent!
I changed to a recumbent in Feb and will never go back to uprights. I live in Milwaukie, Oregon and it's up hill from my house no matter which way I go. I love my Sun EZ Sport. I commute to work durring the week, 5 miles each way. On the weekends I go out for 30-40 mile fun rides. I'm gonna do Reach the Beach http://www.reachthebeach.org/ next year, that's 100 miles.
So I say again. Get Bent.:)
http://greg.wyglewideweb.com/