Which is best?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Big Baguett, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Yesterday I rode one of my regular routes, and very nice it was. After a bit over 30 miles, there's
    a steep hill. Yesterday, however, I turned off on one of those lovely 'Unsuitable for heavy goods
    vehicles' roads and avoided the steepie -- but had to make the same height acquisition over a
    distance about three times as long. The choice next time I go that way is now a hard half mile on
    the granny (not you, you silly old bat) or 1.5 miles grinding away in the middle gears. I haven't
    decided which is best, though I think it's the short hard climb. How do other people approach a
    choice like that?
    --
    The Big Baguette

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > How do other people approach a choice like that?

    For me, it's short & hard every time.

    Er... unless there's a combination of 3 or more of these factors:

    1. Cold
    2. Wet
    3. Windy (against me)
    4. Knackered
    5. Friday
    6. Feeling unwell
    7. Excessively hot
    8. The view is nicer the long way round

    Probably a few more I haven't thought of.

    Mark

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The choice next time I go that way is now a hard half mile on the granny (not you, you silly old
    > bat) or 1.5 miles grinding away in the middle gears. I haven't decided which is best, though I
    > think it's the short hard climb. How do other people approach a choice like that?

    The short, steep route every time.

    --
    Dave...

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Yesterday I rode one of my regular routes, and very nice it was. After a bit over 30 miles,
    > there's a steep hill. Yesterday, however, I turned off on one of those lovely 'Unsuitable for
    > heavy goods vehicles' roads and avoided the steepie -- but had to make the same height acquisition
    > over a distance about three times as long. The choice next time I go that way is now a hard half
    > mile on the granny (not you, you silly old bat) or 1.5 miles grinding away in the middle gears. I
    > haven't decided which is best, though I think it's the short hard climb. How do other people
    > approach a choice like that?

    I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't fathom.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't
    fathom.

    A big magnet? Do you ride a steel framed bike?

    cheers, clive

  6. Rg

    Rg Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't
    > fathom.
    >
    > A big magnet? Do you ride a steel framed bike?
    >
    > cheers, clive

    Never mind the magnet pulling you along - out for a spin on the local bit of the National Cycle
    Network and was overtaken by a bloke on an ancient Raleigh being pulled along at speed by a very
    large dog on a long lead ! (should have been a husky I suppose, but probably wasn't)

    RG

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    RG <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Never mind the magnet pulling you along - out for a spin on the local bit of the National Cycle
    > Network and was overtaken by a bloke on an ancient Raleigh being pulled along at speed by a very
    > large dog on a long lead ! (should have been a husky I suppose, but probably wasn't)

    Works fine until the dog goes one side of a lampost and you go the other

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  8. >I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't fathom.

    It's called mental derangement. Hills are meant to be cycled down, not up :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    Which is *better*?

    /pedant

    and hooray for hill climbing
    :)

    ian

  10. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Mark wrote:
    >> How do other people approach a choice like that?
    >
    > For me, it's short & hard every time.
    >
    > Er... unless there's a combination of 3 or more of these factors:
    >
    > 1. Cold
    > 2. Wet
    > 3. Windy (against me)
    > 4. Knackered
    > 5. Friday
    > 6. Feeling unwell
    > 7. Excessively hot
    > 8. The view is nicer the long way round
    >
    > Probably a few more I haven't thought of.

    9. The short hill is so steep that your cadence to too low, or your speed is so slow keeping
    straight is a problem.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK