Which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Big Baguett

Yesterday I rode one of my regular routes, and very nice it was. After a bit over 30 miles, there's
a steep hill. Yesterday, however, I turned off on one of those lovely 'Unsuitable for heavy goods
vehicles' roads and avoided the steepie -- but had to make the same height acquisition over a
distance about three times as long. The choice next time I go that way is now a hard half mile on
the granny (not you, you silly old bat) or 1.5 miles grinding away in the middle gears. I haven't
decided which is best, though I think it's the short hard climb. How do other people approach a
choice like that?
--
The Big Baguette

> How do other people approach a choice like that?

For me, it's short & hard every time.

Er... unless there's a combination of 3 or more of these factors:

1. Cold
2. Wet
3. Windy (against me)
4. Knackered
5. Friday
6. Feeling unwell
7. Excessively hot
8. The view is nicer the long way round

Probably a few more I haven't thought of.

Mark

The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The choice next time I go that way is now a hard half mile on the granny (not you, you silly old
> bat) or 1.5 miles grinding away in the middle gears. I haven't decided which is best, though I
> think it's the short hard climb. How do other people approach a choice like that?

The short, steep route every time.

--
Dave...

The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yesterday I rode one of my regular routes, and very nice it was. After a bit over 30 miles,
> there's a steep hill. Yesterday, however, I turned off on one of those lovely 'Unsuitable for
> heavy goods vehicles' roads and avoided the steepie -- but had to make the same height acquisition
> over a distance about three times as long. The choice next time I go that way is now a hard half
> mile on the granny (not you, you silly old bat) or 1.5 miles grinding away in the middle gears. I
> haven't decided which is best, though I think it's the short hard climb. How do other people
> approach a choice like that?

I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't fathom.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

news:[email protected]...
>
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't
> fathom.
>
> A big magnet? Do you ride a steel framed bike?
>
> cheers, clive
>
>

Never mind the magnet pulling you along - out for a spin on the local bit of the National Cycle
Network and was overtaken by a bloke on an ancient Raleigh being pulled along at speed by a very
large dog on a long lead ! (should have been a husky I suppose, but probably wasn't)

RG

RG <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Never mind the magnet pulling you along - out for a spin on the local bit of the National Cycle
> Network and was overtaken by a bloke on an ancient Raleigh being pulled along at speed by a very
> large dog on a long lead ! (should have been a husky I suppose, but probably wasn't)
>

Works fine until the dog goes one side of a lampost and you go the other

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

>I get magnetically drawn to the short hard climb for reasons I can't fathom.

It's called mental derangement. Hills are meant to be cycled down, not up :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

Mark wrote:
>> How do other people approach a choice like that?
>
> For me, it's short & hard every time.
>
> Er... unless there's a combination of 3 or more of these factors:
>
> 1. Cold
> 2. Wet
> 3. Windy (against me)
> 4. Knackered
> 5. Friday
> 6. Feeling unwell
> 7. Excessively hot
> 8. The view is nicer the long way round
>
> Probably a few more I haven't thought of.
>

9. The short hill is so steep that your cadence to too low, or your speed is so slow keeping
straight is a problem.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Status
Not open for further replies.