Which is better for training ? Long flat rides or short hilly rides.

groskilly

Jul 10, 2004
I have limited time on week days so I have been doing alot of short hill climbs, 10 to 15 miles with a couple of 5% grades over 2 miles in length.
A friend insists that these hilly climbs are not as effective for arobic conditioning as longer flat rides around 30 to 40 miles.

What do you all say ???

Jerry

groskilly said:
I have limited time on week days so I have been doing alot of short hill climbs, 10 to 15 miles with a couple of 5% grades over 2 miles in length.
A friend insists that these hilly climbs are not as effective for arobic conditioning as longer flat rides around 30 to 40 miles.

What do you all say ???

Jerry
Depends, are you aerobic on these rides or anaerobic? If your able to stay aerobic then it's a matter of time, are you on the hills longer than you would be on the flat? However, if your anaerobic on the hills then the flat is better for your 'aerobic' conditioning....

4 Miles @ 5% would put me right at my threshold...

Keep it simple, cover all bases and do both :)

groskilly said:
A friend insists that these hilly climbs are not as effective for aerobic conditioning as longer flat rides around 30 to 40 miles.

What do you all say ???

Jerry
I would say that it depends on how you plan to ride them. Going out and dawdling for 30 or 40 miles isn't the most efficient way to spend one's time if they are looking to get into fantastic aerobic condition. Just logging miles isn't going to whip one into shape. Training with purpose will.

If I had to choose soley between the 15 hilly miles vs the 30 - 40 flat miles I would pick the former. However, it takes both types of workouts if you want to optimize your conditioning.

Since you have limited time on weekdays, then I'd definitely do the hills (pre-fabbed intervals) with gusto and do your longer flat rides on weekends.

groskilly said:

What do you all say ???

Jerry
I faced a similar situation when I started riding. There just isn't any "flat" road around here. You may find a half mile or so in places, but other than that you're going up....or down.

I invested in an indoor trainer to partially solve the issue. Although I find it impossible (boredom) to stay on a trainer much over 1 hour, I can easily control where my heart rate is.

Putting in trainer miles (comparable to your long flat rides) in addition to logging the road miles (generally from 20-30 miles) has really worked for me. It's easy to find time to log an hour on a trainer, and 3 or 4 times a week I find enough time to do the same on the road.

Interesting change happens (which I'm sure you'll find). After riding a while now I find I can handle the hills very well, in many cases keeping my speed ~16-17mph without getting my HR out of wack. These are grades in which the majority are in the 7-10% range. When I first started riding I had to actually stop on many of them, regardless of the gear chosen (riding a double). The point is that you'll probably get to the point at which whether your ride is an "endurance" ride, or more intense will be a choice of how hard you push it as opposed to where you ride.

Good Luck!!

groskilly said:

What do you all say ???

Jerry

Aerobic fitness (i.e., increases in VO2max/MAP, lactate threshold, and time trial power) are best trained with more intense and moderate sessions as opposed to doing steady miles.

If you're friend or you are able to train at a moderately hard effort for the 30+ miles then that's good, but if all you do is potter on those rides then from a fitness perspective they're not very effective.

Ric

After riding a while now I find I can handle the hills very well, in many cases keeping my speed ~16-17mph without getting my HR out of wack. These are grades in which the majority are in the 7-10% range.

Dude - you can average 16-17 m.p.h. up a 10% incline? Over what sort of distance are we talking?

If it's a fair whack, could we swap legs, please? ;)

I find a huge difference between flat and hills. If I put a bit of weight on I feel more powerful on the flat - loads of power and energy. However, when I hit hills I feel almost destroyed.
For hill work I feel more efficient having lost a little weight.
Generally speaking hill-climbing will send your heart rate high but you'll probably not get faster on the flat. So, you need to do both, I think. My speed on climbs averages 14 mph on slopes and 8 - 9 mph on the steeper ascents. Probably fairly average.
One warning, hills are tough on knees. Don't climb every day and maybe vary your gears when you climb so your knees don't get stressed.

groskilly said:

What do you all say ???

Jerry

Long hilly rides.

Can't resist to post this reply after seeing the thread title :D