Which is better? Running 20 minutes 3 days...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dwight McNamara, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. For basic aerobic conditioning which is better? 20 minutes 3 days a week or 15 minutes 4 days a
    week? I don't need to lose weight or tone muscles. I just want cardiac health. I am male 5'11 &
    weigh 152 pounds. I run on a treadmill at 6 MPH. I need to do the bare minimum because I have back
    problems. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I cannot see much difference here. Both would total 60 min of exercise.

    If you hear people say that it takes 20 min to start "burning" fat, ignore the rest since substrate
    utilization does not matter.

    From a practical perspective, 3x20 would be better since it reduces the need to change clothes and
    possibly shower by one day.

    You might want to consider other exercises that impact your back problem less.

    "Dwight McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For basic aerobic conditioning which is better? 20 minutes 3 days a week or 15 minutes 4 days a
    > week? I don't need to lose weight or tone muscles. I just want cardiac health. I am male 5'11 &
    > weigh 152 pounds. I run on a treadmill at 6 MPH. I need to do the bare minimum because I have back
    > problems. Thanks

  3. Theracker

    Theracker Guest

    >From: "Sam" [email protected] You might want to consider other exercises that impact your
    >back problem less.

    I'd have to vote with this guy. If your back causes you problems why don't you try biking or
    swimming or something that doesn't jar your body so much.

  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I'll 2nd (3rd) that. Anytime I've had back problems (pulled muscles and what have you from climbing,
    usually) I reduced my speed to a walking and my back thanked me repeatedly. I would use the various
    exercise bikes, gliders, NordicTracks and other "non-impact" aerobic machines, but they all feel
    funny and end up causing pain in my knee joints or hips. I could probably "learn" to use them
    without pain, but walking on the treadmill is so much easier and the skill actually is useful
    outside getting in shape! I wish the gym I belong to had a pool.

    news:<200310221[email protected]>...

  5. On 2003-10-22, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I cannot see much difference here. Both would total 60 min of exercise.
    >
    > If you hear people say that it takes 20 min to start "burning" fat, ignore the rest since
    > substrate utilization does not matter.

    I agree. It takes around 45 minutes to use the primary carbohydrates in your blood, and switching to
    a higher fat burning ratio.

    Around 75% effort is the optimal tradeoff, burns most fat per time unit.

    > From a practical perspective, 3x20 would be better since it reduces the need to change clothes and
    > possibly shower by one day.

    Agreed, and the 15 minutes saved could be added to the run, and make it 3x25 mins :)

    > You might want to consider other exercises that impact your back problem less.

    Agreed.

  6. "Povl H. Pedersen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 2003-10-22, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I cannot see much difference here. Both would total 60 min of exercise.
    > >
    > > If you hear people say that it takes 20 min to start "burning" fat, ignore the rest since
    > > substrate utilization does not matter.
    >
    > I agree. It takes around 45 minutes to use the primary carbohydrates in your blood, and switching
    > to a higher fat burning ratio.
    >
    > Around 75% effort is the optimal tradeoff, burns most fat per time unit.
    >
    > > From a practical perspective, 3x20 would be better since it reduces the need to change clothes
    > > and possibly shower by one day.
    >
    > Agreed, and the 15 minutes saved could be added to the run, and make it 3x25 mins :)
    > >
    > > You might want to consider other exercises that impact your back problem less.
    >
    > Agreed.

    thanks for all the input. actually my back has been fine running the reduced mileage i have been
    running. i was running 30 -40 minutes before. like 5 days a week. my lower back was starting to
    bother me. i stopped running for a week then started the lower mileage. i have been fine.