Which is harder....running? or cycling?

michael01612 said:
Which is harder ....running? or cycling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsagH9YfVRg

I think it depends on which of the two sports you enjoy most. A long time ago I did a duathlon (something I wish they would come up with again), which is running and biking. Part of the concept was that if you didn't enjoy the swim part of a TRI running and cycling somehow would be the next best thing to challenging your body. Nevertheless, I did it for two years in a row. The first year was to completely stop smoking by challenging myself to a new sport, and because I really liked cycling and running. The second year was to take the sport more seriously; getting a lighter bike and training for the whole year. Of the two, I would have said that running was the more difficult, but when trying to beat my time each time I was on the bike during training, that was pretty hard also. In the end, I don't know if I can answer that question - for me, it's a toss up.

For me running is much harder.

On bike i can rest on downhills or corners or in group... when i run it is just run and run and run and :p

IT'S NOT A SPORT, IT'S A LIFESTYLE. IT'S NOT TRIATHLON, IT'S BEING AN IRONMAN AND IF ANY OF IT WERE EASY THAN THERE'D BE NO POINT IN DOING IT.

read below.

Don't shout. It's rude.

Running always has and always will suck. Now I can run 50-100 yards before the pounding from the rod inside my leg makes running impossible.

alienator said:
Don't shout. It's rude.

Running always has and always will suck. Now I can run 50-100 yards before the pounding from the rod inside my leg makes running impossible.

:D it's always been a blessing that it takes me some time to warm up. on a bike it doesn't happen until i'm at about 30 -50 miles and on foot, which for me is a bit harder in the beginning vs. the bike, it can take up to 3-4 miles, sometimes 6-10, before i feel at ease and can just go. and unlike alienator i've never broken a leg, knock on wood, but i at times suffer from serious pain in my feet and shins and ankles but i run through them and they go away...eventually. it's getting past the pain that is the real fun anywho and the more i do either the less pain there is to get over.

concerning 'triathlons', swimming is where my work is gonna be cut out for myself. used to be i could swim under water from wall to wall three times in a league pool without air and fast, take a quick breath and do it again and the same again and again and with ease, now i'm lucky to not drown taking a shower.

Personally, I hate running.

I run to try to improve my fitness and to compliment my cycling training but I hate it.
I find running very hard for some reason.
Even though I am fit, I find running difficult.

I find cycling harder, I've slways bbe nreasonable at running, but I struggle sometimes on the bike, even in a light wind.....need to build more strength

Oddly, I find that the more running that I do, my cycling improves.

However it is not reciprocated when I do more cycling (my running stays at the same crappy level).

odd.

I can't run more that a few yards. Possibly because of bad discs in my back, but it jars me so badly I can't stand to do it.

I always hated running, but that was years ago when I was still smoking. Maybe I'll give it a try just to get outside, but then again, I'd rather use that time on the trainer.

limerickman said:

However it is not reciprocated when I do more cycling (my running stays at the same crappy level).

odd.

ditto.

I always found maximum-effort running, over any distance greater than about 300m, much harder than any I've done on a bike. The discomfort in the guts when running flat out is brutal, but, after all these of learing how my body works, I'm wondering if that was because I never warned up properly. I find that cycling discomfort is more isolated to the legs, where running pain is felt more in the breathing.

limerickman said:
About 20 years ago, i remember reading in a mag that (I think) the Russian national team were running 5km a day. The theory was that, because running is slightly more aerobic than cycling, it would train the heart and lungs a little harder.

I love both but running hurts my knees therefore I limit it. I am a firm believer that running should be left to either catching food or avoid becoming food.

Cycling and running are on the same difficulty level for me. Of course, each one brings its on difficulties to the table.

For instance, cycling takes an extreme amount of commitment to stay out on the road for hours at a time while running takes a great pain tolerance to continue to put one foot in front of the other.