which is the best lube for use in the rain and in the dry weather?

Paddles1982

Jun 21, 2012
just curious as to which lubes are best for riding on roads during the rain and sunshine, im new to cycling and the help is appreciated, i did my first ride yesterday covering 36.5 miles in 2 hours 49 mins :)

IMO any chain oil should do the trick. Just keep in mind that after you complete a wet ride you should wipe your chain dry and reapply your lube.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_261072_-1___202590 A copy of the link to the chain lube that I use. There are many products available. The best one is the one you use. Lubrication is the easiest task in bike maintenance and also the most neglected.

Welcome to the forum.

IMO, the key is regular lubing. I shoot for about every 100 miles and after every wet ride (I lube the derailleurs at the same time). What I think works is that you keep a reservoir of lube in amongst the inner parts of the chain. As you ride, that oil works its way out and sloughs off, taking some grit and grime with it. Since the oil is working its way out, it needs to be regularly replenished.

As a result, I can only just barely hear my chain on smooth road (can't hear it at all if there's much texture to the road), and I intend to keep it that way.

davereo said:
IMO any chain oil should do the trick. Just keep in mind that after you complete a wet ride you should wipe your chain dry and reapply your lube.
+1. The key is to lube at regular intervals, inspect your chain periodically for wear or damage, and after riding in the rain, to clean off dirt and muck and re-lube as necessary. As for lubes to consider, here are two:
  • ProLink
  • Chain-L
    • They're the chain lubes I like best. Using Pro-Link, I apply the lube every 100-150 miles. Using Chain-L - a thicker, "clingier" oil - I re-apply every 500 miles or so. ProLink is easier to apply and cleans the chain, too. Chain-L requires the cleaning of the chain before each application. If you spend a lot of time riding in the rain or take long rides in the rain, you might want to look at Chain-L as it will likely be more resistant to being flushed off the chain in downpours or extended rides in the rain.

This is a question of ideology. Really.
For me the dry lube (= wax) is the very ticket.
It is clean.
I use White Lightning wax (Clean Ride).
And sometimes their spray, which is a useful thing.
That's it.
Oil is sticky and gunky and dirty, in the long run. Not thanks...

This time of year, I clean and re lube just about every ride. I'll abstain from recommending a product, but will stick around for the lively discussion sure to follow.

You may have an easier time getting an answer for what bike color or frame material is best.

if you face a long >3 hours ride on the rain you could add grease to the chain, it is a bit messy but it will keep your drivetrain going for that ride, then as advised above clean and re-lube for the next day,

The professional standby for wet riding is to oil the chain and apply a light film of grease. A bit messy to apply, but it works.

In dry conditions almost any oil better than household 3-in-1 will work.