Which is the better jersey to win!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Memphmann, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

My question is this: Which is the better jesey to win, the Yellow or the Rainbow? Please give a short reason why?

I feel that the rainbow is better because it is more of a race of a riders strength then a team race. The TdF has become a team race, with the teams leader winning. Where as the National cycling championship Road Race title comes down to one day and one rider. At this years race (I was there), the team with the most riders only finished 4th. That is my opinion.....

Memph

Tags:

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

If I had that kind of talent, I would rather a yellow. Just my bias anyway.

Sure you need a good team but you have to perform every stage, esp the hills & TTs. One bad day and you'll be unlikely to succeed.

In the worlds, it is a bit more hit and miss and whether it suits your abilities. A sprinter was always going to win last year but would have no chance this year. Not all the big guns were there also (timing issue?).

I feel that Bettini was unlucky not to get a rainbow this year. Should the leader of the World Cup races get the rainbow jersey? Great race by Astarloa but he had a particularly good day and on reviewing the form over the season, he is not someone you'd really hold up as a likely world champ before his win. It would be unfair to say he was just "lucky" but he sure was a surprise. You don't get too many surprise TDF winners in that they generally show the appropriate form in the lead up.

3. Daremo

Daremo New Member

Yellow, pink or gold ..........

The general public knows the Tour, 95% of the world didn't even know the World's was this past week .......

World's is just another 1-day classic. The Tour, Giro, or Vuelta are three weeks of hell ...........

4. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

You are correct in stating that no one would have mentioned the winner as the winner before the start. We watched the entire race live and it was awesome. The reason I perfer the Worlds is that someone like the winner has a chance. Unlike the Tour, where there might be 3-5 cyclists who has the team to win. Then again, the Worlds are not as well known to the public outside of Europe. All in all, I would rather win the Worlds....

Memph

ps, you had some great points..

5. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

So who are you winning the race for, yourself or the public???

Memph

6. blip

blip New Member

World Champion 2003. Now THAT is a moniker I could deal with! Sure the Tour is a great race with much history and prestige but the undisputed world champion for 12 months.........yes please

7. rutamike

rutamike New Member

Personally, I don't think Bettini deserved it Sunday, I only saw him come to the front for about one brief try, I think his team actually lost it a bit for him by keeping the pace so low that a lot of people were still in it at the end

8. rutamike

rutamike New Member

Oh, sorry, I'll have the yellow please. If given the option.

9. Daremo

Daremo New Member

World Champion, Olympic Champion ........ one day races, has nothing to do with who is the best/strongest rider .......

Has EVERYTHING to do with being on form on that weekend and getting a good/lucky break.

Being one of the Tour champs has everything to do with abilities, strength, form, and everything that is celebrated about the sport.

No one ever puts a lot of credence on the World Champ.

What I think is more prestigious is the old season long World Cup points system where consistency was awarded for results in ALL the classics, and the leader then is what I would consider a World champ.

Worlds will never be anything more than a hyped up national team 1-day race. Being "World Champ" doesn't seem to hold much clout to me.

10. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

So you would rather win the World Cup over the World's or TdF???

Memph

11. Daremo

Daremo New Member

No, what I was attempting to say was that the World Cup winner should be considered the World champ, not one guy who got lucky in a break or a mass sprint .........

12. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

Money.

These are professional riders. The one to make the most money for the winner.

It's why Lemond concentrated on TdF and Worlds; the only 2 things significant in USA. Smart man.

13. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I see your point. Why should someone who got lucky for one day be the World Champ. So sould the TdF count toward the points? If so, how many points should be rewarded for TdF? I am in agreement. The World Cup shows someone strength thru out the entire season, not some races. Kinda like Tennis point system...

Memph

14. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

So you are lending toward a PGA style of Champ. The cyclist with the most winnings is the Champ? Could work I guess....

Memph