Which kind of folding bike 2 buy?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by danscott7, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. danscott7

    danscott7 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2003
    i am planning on buying a full sized, folding bike, and was wondering whether i should buy one of those where the frame has been cut 2 allow folding of the bike, or one of those with a seat tube folding system wherein the bike folds without having had its frame cut.
    i have read that folding bikes which have had their frames cut in order to fold are compromised in their structural integrity, but i have read that on websites of companies who make & sell the non frame cut folding bikes, so i'm not sure how sincere they're being or how much theyre just trying 2 scare u away from the competition.
    id appreciate the non biased, experienced view of someone on whether frame cut folding bikes are just as safe as non frame cut folding bikes, or whether to steer clear of these types.

    Tags:

  2. Fred Roses

    Fred Roses Guest

    danscott7 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > id appreciate the non biased, experienced view of someone on whether frame cut folding bikes are
    > just as safe as non frame cut folding bikes, or whether to steer clear of these types.

    As somebody who owns 2 "cut" bikes with S & S couplers as well as two folding bikes (an Airnimal and
    a Friday), I follow many internet threads on this subject, and I've never heard or read of a single
    reliability issue with the S&S product. What you do hear and read from owners (including myself) is
    that the couplers "just disappear" - they do their job (allowing the frame to split in half) without
    any downside or gotchas. Read more at http://www.sandsmachine.com. By the way there is a a new
    2-part bike from from Tom Ritchey that uses his own proprietary couplers, with which I have no
    experience or insight. http://www.ritcheylogic.com/babmain.htm

    Fred Roses