Which Koolstop pads for Ultegra?

Jason Spaceman

Guest
I use the Koolstop V-Type Brake Insert pads on my mountain bike's XTR
V-brakes. http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#vtype

I recently bought my first, serious, road bike and it is equipped with
Shimano Ultegra brakes. I want to replace the stock Shimano pads with
some Koolstops, but I am unsure as to what type of Koolstop pads fit
on Ultegras. I'm guessing the Dura Type?
http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#duratype Or is it one of the other
models?

Do the Ultegra pads slide out of the pad holders the same way that the
V-brake pads do? (by removing the pin and then sliding the pad out of
the pad holder?)

J. Spaceman

Jason Spaceman wrote:

> I use the Koolstop V-Type Brake Insert pads on my mountain bike's XTR
> V-brakes. http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#vtype
>
> I recently bought my first, serious, road bike and it is equipped with
> Shimano Ultegra brakes. I want to replace the stock Shimano pads with
> some Koolstops, but I am unsure as to what type of Koolstop pads fit
> on Ultegras. I'm guessing the Dura Type?
> http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#duratype Or is it one of the other
> models?

If you want to re-use the Ultegra holders, this is the way to go.

> Do the Ultegra pads slide out of the pad holders the same way that the
> V-brake pads do? (by removing the pin and then sliding the pad out of
> the pad holder?)

It's a screw instead of a pin, but the principle is the same.

For best performance, however, chuck the stock holders and get a pair of
BMX/Mountain shoes. This is a little bit more expensive, but will
give the best performance.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#bmx

Sheldon "Stop!" Brown
| Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions |
| from insufficient premises. --Samuel Butler |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

says...

>It's a screw instead of a pin, but the principle is the same.
>
>For best performance, however, chuck the stock holders and get a pair of
> BMX/Mountain shoes. This is a little bit more expensive, but will
>give the best performance.
>
>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#bmx

You may get better performance, but those screws sticking out of the
brakes look pretty nasty.
------------
Alex

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> I use the Koolstop V-Type Brake Insert pads on my mountain bike's XTR
> V-brakes. http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#vtype
>
> I recently bought my first, serious, road bike and it is equipped with
> Shimano Ultegra brakes. I want to replace the stock Shimano pads with
> some Koolstops, but I am unsure as to what type of Koolstop pads fit
> on Ultegras. I'm guessing the Dura Type?
> http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#duratype Or is it one of the other
> models?

I'd go with the Kool Stop Continentals (unless you're put off the
statement that they're for older bikes). The Continentals don't have
the fit problems of the fancy (and longer) Kool Stops. The "thinlines"
won't last as long. And the "plow" and asymetric features are mostly
hype.

Art Harris