Which Lube for my chain?

pineapple

Oct 3, 2003
I've been using a generic bike grease which looks vaguely organic but is dificult to get into the chain bearings etc.

Recently I found a can of WD-40 in the garage and found out how easy it is to spray and seems to get in to the chain joints quite nicely.

My question to everybody is: how good is WD-40 as a chain lube and as a rust resistant layer? What is the difference between the organic looking oils and spray-type stuff like WD-40?

Am I right in thinking I should not use both on the same chain?

Originally posted by pineapple
I've been using a generic bike grease which looks vaguely organic but is dificult to get into the chain bearings etc.

Recently I found a can of WD-40 in the garage and found out how easy it is to spray and seems to get in to the chain joints quite nicely.

My question to everybody is: how good is WD-40 as a chain lube and as a rust resistant layer? What is the difference between the organic looking oils and spray-type stuff like WD-40?

Grease of any kind is not a proper chain lube.WD-40 is not a proper chain lube. I have no clue what you mean by organic looking oils,but Crisco and Canola are not proper chain lubes either. Give the chain a good cleaning with citrus degreaser, or mineral spirits, and then go to a LBS. They have lots of chain lubes.Some work better in specific applications than others. Prolink or Bioshield both get good reviews.

I've tried many lubes and so far Prolink is the best. Lubes well and the chain stays clean. I use it on both my mtb and road bike. Sometimes hard to find at the LBS. You can buy direct at http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html

A while back there was a problem with the durability of the plastic bottles they were using. I called and they shipped my a full replacemt order using the new bottles. A few weeks later they called to find out if I was satisfied. I was-- great customer service and a really good product. Do follow the directions--there is no need to over apply this product- more is not better nor cleaner.

This thread:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91988

has a pretty good discussion of riders' impressions of different chainlubes.

thanks everyone for answers to my noob question. I read somewhere someone saying they used wd40 and it worked well, but evidently they know nothing. Will continue to use my generic nondescript bike oil until i can get my hands on some prolink or similar.

thanks everyone for answers to my noob question. I read somewhere someone saying they used wd40 and it worked well, but evidently they know nothing. Will continue to use my generic nondescript bike oil until i can get my hands on some prolink or similar.

WD40 isn't worthless. If it's like 2AM and the race is tomorrow morning and you've got a chain that needs lube badly, then its better than nothing. Though. there are better chain lubes out there with teflon in them. I would be careful of the "self-cleaning" chain lubes. They tend to get you floor dirty, but your chain will be cleaner! :D

I've been happy with White Lightning on my MTB, but I'm planning to give Prolink a try for my road bike when my order gets here later this week.

Greases are not the best materials for lubricating a bicycle chain. It is too thick to easily work into all of the chain inards and typically will hold dirt and grime more than other materials.

Using WD-40 is like saying, who was right, the Hatfields or the McCoys.? Some people swear by it, others scoff. Here is the real ****, WD-40 is okay as a temporary lube, but is not the best material for a bicycle chain lube. I am not sure of what you mean by "organic looking" oils for a comparison.

My recommnedation is to use a lube that is designed for a chain. There are several flavors to choose, some work better than others in ceratin conditions.

I am currently using Slick ***** stuff and love it. Very clean, easy to apply, cleans your chain when you apply it, and it lasts a long time in the wet or dry. I was a Pro-Link user before, but not anymore since I started using SW stuff.

Whatever flavor you choose, stick with it and don't mix and match. Also, practice a regular chain maintanence schedule and you will keep your drivetrain better performing and make it last longer.

Doc

First up I'll say that I switch to Pro-link several years ago. I found that it requires slight more frequent maintenance than other lubes. But I prefer the results

At the time that I went looking for an alternative lubes, I was advised against using WD-40. Yes, it does behaves as a lubricate for a very short time. But it acts more like a (machinsist) cutting compound!

I'm don't know enough about this to say for sure... But I'm not going to risk it :)

Never ever EVER use WD 40 again on your chain! WD40 has degreasing properties. It is thin and penetrates everywhere bewcause of this but it disolves thicker grease and oil carrying it away from the bearings.
It mihgt be usefull when cleaning your chain (personally I reckon mineral turps is better) but don't make the mistake of thinking that it is a lube. It dries out really fast leaving absolutely nothing behind for lubrication.

Gave prolink a try today. It works great! I thought I had my chain really clean. Put the prolink on and this stuff still managed to clean out even more grime.

Its a lot thinner that I'm used to. I understand you have to apply it a little more often but if it helps keep the cleaning time down, I'm all for it.

WD-40 is more like a penetrant than a lubricant. Though it has lubricating properties its more like kerosene than anything else and it also attracts dirt to a much higher degree than lubricants dedicated to lubing chains.

I use White lightning to good effect though there are many other great chain products out there... I would think that a trip to your LBS and a supply of ANYTHING made for lubing chains would work well. Particularly if you did it regularly...

The main things are not to let the chain get "gunked up" and not to run it "dry" as in right after a citrus cleaning...

Good luck!

WD-40 is more like a penetrant than a lubricant. Though it has lubricating properties its more like kerosene than anything else and it also attracts dirt to a much higher degree than lubricants dedicated to lubing chains.

I use White lightning to good effect though there are many other great chain products out there... I would think that a trip to your LBS and a supply of ANYTHING made for lubing chains would work well. Particularly if you did it regularly...

The main things are not to let the chain get "gunked up" and not to run it "dry" as in right after a citrus cleaning...

Good luck!

I received this e-mail on WD-40 A few days ago.

"WD-40

This product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

Here are some of the uses:

Protects silver from tarnishing
Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
Gives floors that "just-waxed" sheen without making it slippery
Keeps flies off cows
Restores and cleans chalkboards
Removes lipstick stains
Loosens stubborn zippers
Untangles jewelry chains
Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
Removes tomato stains from clothing
Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots
Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
Keeps scissors working smoothly
Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide
Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers
Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises
Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open
Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers
Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling
Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly
Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools

We're not through -- here's more uses:

Removes splattered grease on stove
Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
Lubricates prosthetic limbs
Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)
Removes all traces of duct tape

I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, knees, etc., to relieve arthritis pain.

One fellow claims spraying it on fishing lures attracts fish.

WD-40 has been designated the "official multi-purpose problem-solver of NASCAR," a ringing endorsement if there ever was one. I told my NASCAR
loving sons about this and they said they couldn't imagine how WD-40 can solve the Jeff Gordon problem.

In celebration of their 50th year, the company conducted a contest to learn the favorite uses of it's customers and fan club members, (Yes, there is a WD-40 Fan Club).

They compiled the information to identify the favorite use in each of the 50 states. Naturally I was curious about Georgia and Alabama and found the favorite use in both states was that it "penetrates stuck bolts, lug nuts, and hose ends." Florida's favorite use was "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."

California's favorite use was penetrating the bolts on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Let me close with one final, wonderful use -- the favorite use in the State of New York -- WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

No wonder WD-40 has enjoyed 50 successful years!"

If you really like spraying the lube on rather than applying it with a sqeeze bottle, there are satisfactory chain lubricants that come in aerosal cans too.