Which Makes A Better Cyclist?

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
I am a recreational cyclist looking to lose maybe about 15Ibs and get faster.

Which training regiment is better? Riding 70miles on Saturdays and Sundays for a total of 140miles/week, as I currently do; Or, should I ride 30miles a day, five days a week?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Super

I liked longer rides for loosing weight but my speed didn't improve much when I did that. If you have the ambition 3 to 5 days a week at shorter distances and at higher intensities would probably do the most for you.

SUPER RIDER said:

Which training regiment is better? Riding 70miles on Saturdays and Sundays for a total of 140miles/week, as I currently do; Or, should I ride 30miles a day, five days a week?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Super

SUPER RIDER said:

Opinions?

Thanks,

Super
I'd go with the 30 miles a day option. You can ride harder and 30 miles is such that you don't really need to be overly concerned with additional food during the ride. Pretty much just stick you your normal diet, go ride and have some fun. The weight will come off a pound or so a week.

How about two 50 mile rides at the weekend and three 30 mile rides on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The Tuesday ride could include 2 x 20 mins at around FTP. The Thursday ride could include 5 x 4 min VO2 max intervals. Take Monday and Fridays off.

I must say I would go for neither! A combination is the best thing for you m8.

Go for 30 miles two days mon-friday and go for one 70 miles in the weekend. In this way you will pump up your burning of energy. Giving your body the right nutrition during this process you will loose weight.

Find more info here Burning of Energy

JungleBiker said:
How about two 50 mile rides at the weekend and three 30 mile rides on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The Tuesday ride could include 2 x 20 mins at around FTP. The Thursday ride could include 5 x 4 min VO2 max intervals. Take Monday and Fridays off.
Quote (except for the watt part, I dislike training like this)

It all depends on the intensity of your riding. The 5 30 mile days would be best though in most cases. Depends on your goals too. A fast double century or crit racing?

As a person who only cared about loosing weight when I started cycling in the gym, you are only looking at less than 1/2 the equation...loosing weight is all about how much is going in and how much is going out. One without the other means you are going nowhere fast.

As for the getting faster part of the question, that is way to complicated and I doubt simply changing your schedule will make you faster. Loosing weight though should make you faster...should but again much more complicated.

-js

SUPER RIDER said:

Opinions?

Thanks,

Super

SUPER RIDER said:

Opinions?

Thanks,

Super
reee

SUPER RIDER said:

Opinions?

Thanks,

Super
eew

velomanct said:
It all depends on the intensity of your riding. The 5 30 mile days would be best though in most cases. Depends on your goals too. A fast double century or crit racing?
wssdd