Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Which Mavics? There's like, 4 different "Crossmaxes"...

Started by Krusty · · Last activity · 2 posts · 528 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 November 2003
Last activity
19 November 2003
Original author
Krusty
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
528
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Posted originally to the mountain bike group, but it got lost...

    I'm riding single track. I like to think of myself as somewhat aggressive. I weigh about 200 pounds,
    and I'm looking at buying the Mavic Crossmax Wheelset. I've read the reviews, and for my price
    range, they seem like the best buy for a disc wheelset to replace the ones I've currently got.

    My only problem is which Crossmax should I get?

    Crossmax SL? Crossmax XL? Crossmax Enduro? DeeMax?

    I'm in South Carolina, so I'm riding around the backwoods around here, Singletrack, pine forest.
    Smallish, east coast, mountain terrain. I'd love to be able to take larger drops with confidence,
    because currently, the combination of my weight, and the wheels I have, leave me a little skittish
    about taking monster drops.

    What's the difference between "Cross Country" and "Cross Mountain"? Am I doing Cross Mountain
    riding? I realize it's not Colorado by any means, but it's not a flat field either, so I don't know
    if it's quite "Cross Country"...but I could be wrong.

    Any help is 'preciated...thanks guys and gals.

  2. Krusty said:

    Posted originally to the mountain bike group, but it got lost...

    I'm riding single track. I like to think of myself as somewhat aggressive. I weigh about 200
    pounds, and I'm looking at buying the Mavic Crossmax Wheelset. I've read the reviews, and for
    my price range, they seem like the best buy for a disc wheelset to replace the ones I've
    currently got.

    My only problem is which Crossmax should I get?

    Crossmax SL? Crossmax XL? Crossmax Enduro? DeeMax?

    I'm in South Carolina, so I'm riding around the backwoods around here, Singletrack, pine forest.
    Smallish, east coast, mountain terrain. I'd love to be able to take larger drops with confidence,
    because currently, the combination of my weight, and the wheels I have, leave me a little skittish
    about taking monster drops.

    What's the difference between "Cross Country" and "Cross Mountain"? Am I doing Cross Mountain
    riding? I realize it's not Colorado by any means, but it's not a flat field either, so I don't know
    if it's quite "Cross Country"...but I could be wrong.

    Any help is 'preciated...thanks guys and gals.

    Personally, I wouldn't plan to huck off anything bigger than a kerb on a regular basis on any of the
    Crossmax wheels, being another clumsy 200 pounder. The DeeMAx, on the other hand, may be burlier
    than you need. For less than the price of the DeeMax or CrossMax SL/XL, you could have Hope Bulb
    hubs, Mavic XM819 rims and 32 DT spokes from a custom wheelbuilder (UK prices). That should be
    stronger than any Crossmax, 3/4lb lighter than a DeeMAx, UST compatible and with the option to
    upgrade later to a 20mm thru axle at the front or a 12mm bolt thru at the rear without a rebuild.
    And if you break a spoke, you can get a replacement quickly for cents, instead of after a long wait
    for several dollars as is the case with Mavic's proprietory spokes. For a few dollars more, but
    still lighter and cheaper thana DeeMAx, upgrade to the bigger stronger XM823 rim

    If you still want Mavic factory built wheels, get the Enduro; it's only an ounce heavier than the
    XL, weight you can save elsewhere for the price differential, and the steel spokes are thinner for
    less drag and cheaper to replace. My Crossrocs (same materials and spoke count, albeit with bends in
    the spokes) are still straight after a landing which bent my saddle rails and broke my shoulder.
    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.