Which MHR?????????

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by James Godley, Apr 29, 2003.

1. James Godley

James Godley New Member

So I'm 31 years old, and my MHR should be around 189.
    BUT I was playing on my new turbo trainer and managed, with a lot huffing and grunting, to hit 200!!

Should I use this as a more accurate MHR when calculating my percentages?

Does this mean I have the heart of a 20 year old?!?!?:confused:

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

The equation you have used is very unaccurate (often quoted as +/- 10 bpm) and is usualy used in clinical settings for people who can't exercise to 100%.

Use the value you see and adjust it every time you go higher or make it lower if you stop reaching it over a season.

Unfortunatly this doesn't mean your heart is that of a 20 year old, instead it means that your heart can beat to a maximum of 189. This may drop upto 5 bpm as you get fitter. The bigger your heart the longer it takes to fill and empty so the less beats you can make in 1 minute.

Do a max test if you are in any doubts, at home or in a Lab.

3. Shabby

Shabby New Member

I can regularly get my heart rate up above 210, with the highest I've seen being 214, usually while climbing (I'm a sprinter not a climber). It's useful to know, because the heart rates you'll sit on are going to be higher than other peoples. For example, I run an 8km race between 180 to 190 bpm.

And I'm 29, not 6, as the 220-age formula suggests.

4. nferyn

nferyn New Member

Same thing here. I just turned 30. Last year I did a test on the road to determine my MHR and reached 196 (29 yo). As I picked up biking again after a long period of inactivity and have been training intensively the last 6 months, I cannot reach anything over 192 anymore

Niek